A police spokesman described the incident, at the Armon Hanatziv promenade, which overlooks Jerusalem's Old Walled City, as "a terrorist attack" although an investigation remains ongoing. The injured soldiers were evacuated to the Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem's Ein Karem and to the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem.
The attack comes at a time when the number of Palestinian street-style attacks had been decreasing in recent months.
"It's a terrorist attack, a ramming attack", a police spokesman said on Israel Radio. Some of the soldiers were trapped under the truck.
Since September 2015, there have been a wave of Palestinian shooting, stabbing and vehicle attacks against Israelis, resulting in 40 deaths.
Fuel truck blast kills 'dozens' in Syrian city of Azaz
As firefighters were combating the flames, civil defense workers, rebels, and civilians were searching through the rubble. The Observatory said identification of the dead was hard because some bodies had been completely burnt in the blast.
Israel's traditional ally, the United States of America, had not vetoed the anti-Israeli resolution for the first time. He says "it may be quiet, it may linger, but it will never end".
According to earlier reports, four people were killed and 13 more were injured in Jerusalem as a truck rammed passersby.
Luba Samri said the lorry veered off course on Sunday and struck a group of soldiers who had just disembarked from a bus.
Housing Minister Yoav Galant, a former major general in the IDF, called to expel the family of suspected Jerusalem car-ramming terrorist Fadi al-Qunbar to Syria.
Israel says the violence is driven by a Palestinian campaign of incitement, while Palestinians say it's the result of almost 50 years of Israeli occupation and dwindling hopes for an independent state.
- CES 2017: Razer unveils laptop with three 17-inch 4K screens
- Chris Brown, Soulja Boy to Settle Twitter Beef with $1M Boxing Match
- Japan recalling envoy to S.Korea over new 'comfort woman' statue
- Best-selling auto manufacturers of 2016 are announced
- Oil hits 18 month highs on first trading day of 2017
- Seattle's new Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal shut down by Joe Biden
- Trump asks Congress to pay for the border wall
- FA Cup 2016/17: Preston North End 1-2 Arsenal - 5 Talking Points
- SeaWorld killer whale Tilikum from Blackfish documentary dies
- Clemson WRs Williams, Cain will play vs. Alabama in national title game