Gallup noted that last month, Americans were evenly split at 48-percent on Trump's approval and disapproval.
Those numbers are substantially lower than the ratings of other presidents-elect before him: In 2009, 83 percent of Americans approved of Mr. Obama in the days leading up to his inauguration.
Mr. Trump's Cabinet nominations - several of whom have already weathered Senate confirmation hearings - are also facing low approval ratings.
Forty-four percent viewed Mr. Trump's Cabinet nominees as "below average" or "poor".
President Barack Obama's Farewell Speech: Watch Highlights
Breaking conventions has been a characteristic trait of one of the most popular USA presidents in History. He is a Northwestern University grad who began working full time for the president in 2008.
"The wide spread between positive and negative views of Trump's Cabinet appointments serves as another example of the highly polarized environment in which Trump will be taking office on January 20".
The results come despite things Trump has done to win public support, like reaching out to former political opponents and selecting generals for his cabinet, Gallup noted.
Trump's transition approval is at 87 percent with Republicans, 13 percent with Democrats and 33 percent with Independents.
The Quinnipiac poll showed 37 percent of voters approve of Vice president-elect Mike Pence as compared to 34 percent who disapprove; 29 percent approve of First Lady-in-Waiting Melania Trump as compared to 22 percent who disapprove.
"My worst day as president was hearing that 20 six-year-olds had been shot in the most brutal way, in their school where they should have been safe", Obama admitted before sharing his huge disappointment in the response Congress gave gun control legislation. The margin of error is 4 percentage points.
- Obama ends U.S. visa-free residency for Cubans
- 20 trapped, rescued from Australian roller coaster
- Andrew Garfield & Stephen Colbert Share Hot Kiss After Ryan Reynolds Globes Smooch
- West Ham won't be bullied in Payet saga
- Patriots Not Allowing Football Game Against Texans To Become Distraction
- U.S. tanks, troops move into Poland as Kremlin cries foul
- Mediators fail to reach deal on Gambia crisis
- Supermarkets Tesco (TSCO) and Morrisons (MRW) are leading the FTSE 100
- Yahoo to Re-Brand and Slash the Size of its Board
- Lawmakers Battle Over Student Painting of Cops as Animals