The midfielder said he was looking forward to the "next chapter" of his life after turning down "a number of exciting offers to continue playing at home and abroad".
Although he didn't have as much success for country as he did for club, Lampard earned 106 caps for the Three Lions over 15 years. Lampard scored 29 times for England, though his 37 shots without a goal at the World Cup was a record for any player since 1966.
"It put me ahead of Bobby Tambling who had held the record for many years, so that was a huge emotional moment for me personally". Firstly, West Ham United who gave me my debut in 1996.
"I'm grateful to the FA for the opportunity to study for my coaching qualifications and I look forward to pursuing the off-field opportunities that this decision opens", he said.
His retirement brings to an end "a glorious 21-year career in which the midfielder wrung every last bit out of his ability with an astonishing desire and determination", says Jason Burt of the Daily Telegraph.
Redknapp and Frank Lampard senior during their time together as manager and assistant manager of West Ham
Lampard's career was littered with accomplishments, both from an individual and collective standpoint: Winning both the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League once, claiming three English Premier League titles, lifting four FA Cup trophies, and earning more than 100 caps for England on the global level.
Terry, who is in the swansong of his career himself, has taken to Instagram to salute Lampard.
Swansea City head coach Paul Clement has revealed he tried to tempt Frank Lampard to the Liberty Stadium before his retirement. He directly created 18 goals, the third highest total for a single season in Premier League history behind Thierry Henry (20 in 2002-03) and Mesut Ozil (19 in 2015-16). He went on to make 187 appearances for the Hammers, his father's former club, before leaving to join Chelsea for £11 million in June 2001.
He netted the goals in a win at Bolton which in 2005 secured the club's first championship title in 50 years.
Trump's border wall will be neither easy nor inexpensive
According to the United States Trade Representative, Mexico is the third largest goods trading partner with the United States. The Mexican economy is heavily dependent on the United States , with 80 percent of its exports shipped to America.
- Snapchat is Reportedly Working on Extending Their Augmented Reality Technology
- Mourinho Reveals Which Man Utd Star Could Leave
- Dakota Access Pipeline Set For Completion After Army Engineers' Approval
- Cuomo Launches Hotline For Relatives of Travelers Coming From Trump's Banned Countries
- Oscar-nominated actress Emmanuelle Riva dies aged 89
- Donald Trump speaks with Russia's Vladimir Putin but does not mention sanctions
- 'Open affront': Tehran vows 'reciprocal' retaliation for U.S. banning entry to Iranians
- Man mauled to death by tiger in front of horrified witnesses
- Trump and Mexican president speak by phone to calm border wall dispute
- Marine Le Pen refuses to repay €300000 in 'misspent' European Union funds