The Navy has started a command inquiry on this incident.
The Facebook video showing the convoy had been viewed nearly 80,000 times before it was removed Thursday afternoon.
"The convoy were service members assigned to an East Coast-based Naval Special Warfare unit driving vehicles while transiting between two training locations", Lieutenant Jacqui Maxwell told ABC News.
She said she did not know the potential penalties for the violation.
First, Maxwell said, Department of Defense and Navy regulations proscribe which flags and pennants may be displayed - and the way they may be displayed. "The flag shown in the video was unauthorized".
Image source Facebook video screen cap
The videos were widely circulated by Indivisible Kentucky, a newly formed political organization that is opposed to the Trump agenda.
Maxwell also said that, because Navy Special Warfare Units include support staff as well as SEALs, the person responsible for flying the Trump flag may not have been an actual SEAL.
"This is a fascist tactic", a statement on the group's website said.
On that point, Maxwell read directly from the defense department regulations: "Per longstanding DOD policy, active duty personnel may not engage in partisan political activities, and all military personnel should avoid the inference that their political activities imply or appear to imply DOD sponsorship, approval or endorsement of a political candidate, campaign or cause". "It's very clear that you should not be doing that, that they shouldn't be involved in politics, overtly in their military capacity".
A Trump flag was spotted on a military convoy driving outside Lexington, Kentucky, on Sunday. Gadsden and pirate flags are common, as are flags with the logos of various sports teams.
Romania govt to keep decree weakening anti-graft fight despite protests
The president said he would challenge the government's decree in court, while the business minister has resigned over the measure. Some analysts say the government hopes the court will overturn the most contentious elements of the decree.
- CBS Broadcasts Merger of Radio Unit With Entercom, Ending IPO Effort
- Skoal, Copenhagen products recalled due to metal found in cans
- US, Mexico Deny Trump Threatened to Send Troops Across Border
- Pharrell Williams and Wife Helen Lasichanh Welcome Triplets
- Faith groups gather to celebrate World Hijab Day
- Snapchat is Reportedly Working on Extending Their Augmented Reality Technology
- Judges Temporarily Halt Part of Trump's Executive Order
- 'Star' spoilers: Paris Jackson to appeal on Lee Daniels' Fox series
- Man mauled to death by tiger in front of horrified witnesses
- Cuomo Launches Hotline For Relatives of Travelers Coming From Trump's Banned Countries