"This is a great day for justice in New York City", Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said Sunday at the 106th Precinct.
The man, who is in his early 20's, was found by police in a housing project in East New York.
According to the NYPD, DNA evidence has led to the arrest of 20-year-old Chanel Lewis of Brooklyn.
Vetrano fought back furiously against her attacker, whose DNA was found on her cellphone, under her fingernails and her neck.
For months following her death, Vetrano's parents Phil and Cathy Vetrano pleaded for tips and offered rising amounts of reward money for any information leading to an arrest.
It is believed the 30-year-old was ambushed and dragged into the marshes where the courageous young woman fiercely fought for her life. Her father Phil usually ran with her, but stayed home with an injury the day she was killed.
Dakota Access Pipeline Set For Completion After Army Engineers' Approval
Construction of the Dakota Access oil pipeline will proceed, though the immediate timeline remains unclear, a state senator said. The tribe and water protectors believe the four-state pipeline threatens drinking water and cultural sites.
Vetrano, 30, went out for a run from her Howard Beach home, and when she did not return home, her father, Philip Vetrano, and NYPD detectives went looking for her. Vetrano's father found her body among the tall weeds in the park. During another inquiry last week, investigators asked him for a DNA sample, which he voluntarily provided.
You gotta remember Karina helped us identify this person. That's how we were able to bring this profile up.
She went jogging on August 7 and never returned home.
"I'm literally shaking right now", a close friend of Vetrano's told the New York Daily News.
He says DNA evidence led to the arrest. She had been strangled and sexually assaulted.
Mr Vetrano and his wife raised hunderds of thousands of dollars overnight when they launched an online campaign to catch the "vicious animal" who murdered their daughter. "We are in a place we were never at, we know who did this".
- 38 killed by avalanches after heavy snow
- White House puts Iran 'on notice' in stark warning over missile tests
- Japan guided yen lower for years
- Oculus owes half a billion dollars to ZeniMax for copyright infringement
- Skoal, Copenhagen products recalled due to metal found in cans
- Quebec City mosque shooting: What we know about Alexandre Bissonnette
- Betsy DeVos Reportedly Plagiarized Part of Her Senate Questionnaire
- Cuomo Launches Hotline For Relatives of Travelers Coming From Trump's Banned Countries
- CBS Broadcasts Merger of Radio Unit With Entercom, Ending IPO Effort
- 'Star' spoilers: Paris Jackson to appeal on Lee Daniels' Fox series