A third New England Patriots player has announced that he will not make the trip to Washington D.C. when the team visits President Donald Trump to celebrate their Super Bowl victory.
Linebacker Dont'a Hightower bowed out today, telling ESPN, "Been there, done that". In a clever tweet posted Tuesday, Union called out Bennett's teammate Tom Brady, who skipped a White House visit in 2015 without giving an explanation as to why he wasn't attending.
McCourty was part of the team that secured a historic 34-28 comeback win against the Atlanta Falcons in Superbowl LI.
Devin McCourty, a team captain and pro bowl safety, told Time magazine: "Basic reason for me is I don't feel accepted in the White House". Hightower had already been to the White House after his college team, the University of Alabama Crimson Tide, won the national championship.
Romania govt to keep decree weakening anti-graft fight despite protests
The president said he would challenge the government's decree in court, while the business minister has resigned over the measure. Some analysts say the government hopes the court will overturn the most contentious elements of the decree.
[These Patriots players are] saying "no, I will not [just 'stick to sports"], because my life is not just sports.
Martellus Bennett sports a NASA hat while speaking to the media on February 1 ahead of Super Bowl LI.
Bennett and McCourty are now the only two members of the team to say they will not meet the president. "With the president having so many strong opinions and prejudices I believe certain people might feel accepted there while others won't". Running back James White, who scored the game-winning touchdown in overtime, has not yet decided what he will do. Last year's ceremony, honoring the Broncos, happened in June.
Brady two years ago skipped a White House visit with Obama, citing a family obligation.
- 38 killed by avalanches after heavy snow
- Netflix's 'The OA' Officially Renewed for a Second Movement
- Witnesses capture remarkable footage of Louisiana tornado
- Japanese experiment proves that cleaning up space junk is hard
- Athletics-Russia unlikely to be re-admitted before November - IAAF
- US, Mexico Deny Trump Threatened to Send Troops Across Border
- FARAKHABAR: UNAMA Reports 3.7% Increase In Civilian Casualties
- White House puts Iran 'on notice' in stark warning over missile tests
- Rio Tinto roars back with higher than expected dividend, $500M buyback
- EIA Slashes Crude Oil Demand Forecast