Almost 80 people spent the night in a shelter set up near the eastern part of New Orleans, according to Erin Burns, press secretary for Mayor Mitch Landrieu.
The National Weather Service says it has confirmed three tornadoes that have touched down in southern Louisiana. WWL-TV reporter Meg Farris tweeted the New Orleans East Hospital took in four adults and one child with injuries from the storm but they were mostly minor.
Six tornadoes tore through New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana on Tuesday, injuring at least 20 people as the storm roared across highways and streets, leveling trees, power lines and homes.
Just hours after multiple tornadoes caused damage in the southeastern part of the state Tuesday, Feb. 7, Louisiana Baptist Disaster Relief teams were already springing into action.
Tornado survivor Sheryl McBride rushed into her bathtub when the tornado struck her home on the east side of New Orleans.
"As helicopters hovered overhead and emergency response vehicles streamed into neighborhoods, it reminded them of [Hurricane] Katrina", reported Tegan Wendland of member station WWNO in New Orleans.
Athletics-Russia unlikely to be re-admitted before November - IAAF
RusAF still must meet other criteria as outlined by the IAAF taskforce before it will recommend reinstatement. IAAF President Sebastian Coe said a working group would be set up to agree new rules by the end of the year.
Outside the heavily damaged Royal Palms Motel, Malcolm Ballard, 65, was left homeless by the tornado.
Almost 7,800 customers were without power in the New Orleans area by early Wednesday, according to Entergy New Orleans Inc.
According to the Storm Prediction Center, at least nine tornado reports have been filed today between the states of Louisiana and Alabama.
NASA reported that one of its assembly facilities had been damaged, but said that all its staff was accounted for.
There have been no reports yet of fatalities or missing people.
The Baton Rouge area also got hit. The National Weather Service in New Orleans gives this advice to residents.
- Faith groups gather to celebrate World Hijab Day
- FARAKHABAR: UNAMA Reports 3.7% Increase In Civilian Casualties
- Romania govt to keep decree weakening anti-graft fight despite protests
- EIA Slashes Crude Oil Demand Forecast
- Pats comeback earns fan date with Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard
- Japanese experiment proves that cleaning up space junk is hard
- Ireland v Scotland preview: Time for Ireland to deliver
- US, Mexico Deny Trump Threatened to Send Troops Across Border
- Netflix's 'The OA' Officially Renewed for a Second Movement
- Tiffany says CEO Frederic Cumenal steps down