So residents of Hanahan, South Carolina, just outside of Charleston, were caught off-guard by this strikingly orange gator.
One said: "I guess he used too much self tanner?".
Alligators, except those of the Gainesville, Florida variety, aren't usually a deep orange color.
The little gator, reportedly about 4.5 feet long, lives in a pond in Hanahan, South Carolina.
"I've never seen anything like it", said one neighbor.
EIA Slashes Crude Oil Demand Forecast
At 1:53 pm GMT, the Comex gold futures contract for February delivery was 0.31% or $3.80 higher at $1,235.90 an ounce. Gasoline futures RBc1 fell 2.66 cents or 1.77 percent to $1.4837 a gallon.
DNR Alligator Program Coordinator Jay Butfiloski told Live 5 News that the orange color may be a result of where the reptile has been living during the winter months. He said similarly colored alligators have been reported in the area in the past.
Locals and people on social media both quickly made a connection between the clay-colored reptile and Donald Trump, using the phrase 'Trumpagator' (or is it Trumpigator?) both as a compliment and perhaps an insult.
The other theory is that the altered skin colour is due to some sort of environmental factor, possibly algae, or a pollutant. Good news for the alligator as his natural color will more than likely return after he sheds his skin.
That post sparked lots of comments, including one person saying "It's the Trumpagator of Self-Tanner Plantation", according to the Post and Courier.
- Jabari Parker Re-Injures Left Knee
- Witnesses capture remarkable footage of Louisiana tornado
- Thomas Cook cautious for 2017 despite 'solid' start to new year
- Netflix's 'The OA' Officially Renewed for a Second Movement
- Rocket League is crossing over with Hot Wheels for DLC
- Athletics-Russia unlikely to be re-admitted before November - IAAF
- Devin McCourty becomes second Patriots player to skip White House visit
- ACA replacement may not come until 2018, Trump says
- Packers: Green Bay releases veteran cornerback Sam Shields
- Pochettino Expecting Another "Very High Tempo" Liverpool Match