The strike hit a building near the town of al-Bab, believing it to contain Islamic State (IS) fighters rather than Turkish troops, Turkey's military said. "On February 9, around 08:40 local time (05:40 GMT) a bomb dropped by a Russian warplane targeting the IS facilities, hit a building where there were several Turkish military servicemen", Turkey's General Staff said in a statement. Both Turkey and Russian Federation have announced they will investigate the incident thoroughly.
Either way, both Russian and Turkish officials are downplaying the incident, saying it won't impact their ongoing cooperation against ISIS in northern Syria.
The Kremlin said the both sides have agreed to step up their military coordination in Syria.
John Dorrian, spokesman for the US -led coalition in Iraq and Syria, said that Turkey's efforts to defeat Daesh in al-Bab are significant.
The Kremlin earlier said that the air strikes were launched based on coordinates provided by the Turkish army but that Turkish soldiers were not supposed to have been at the location.
Devin McCourty becomes second Patriots player to skip White House visit
McCourty was part of the team that secured a historic 34-28 comeback win against the Atlanta Falcons in Superbowl LI. Running back James White , who scored the game-winning touchdown in overtime, has not yet decided what he will do.
Russia's Defense Ministry confirmed that the airstrike had killed the Turkish soldiers on Thursday.
Reports suggest the rebels and government forces have reached an accommodation over al-Bab, orchestrated by Syria's key alley, Russia.
It came as the new Central Intelligence Agency chief, Mike Pompeo, was in Ankara for talks with Turkish officials on issues including Syria, on his first foreign visit since the inauguration of U.S. president Donald Trump.
Turkey's relations with Russia have improved greatly since the downing of a Russian jet on the Turkish border previous year. With Turkey-backed FSA fighters closing in on the town from the north, east and west, the Assad regime closed in on al-Bab from the south.
In a signal that the incident hasn't hurt a Russia-Turkey rapprochement, Peskov said on Friday that Erdogan is set to visit Russia next month.
- Thomas Cook cautious for 2017 despite 'solid' start to new year
- Pats comeback earns fan date with Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard
- Aus not indebted to U.S. over refugee deal
- Suspect interrogated in killing of Karina Vetrano
- Packers: Green Bay releases veteran cornerback Sam Shields
- Rio Tinto roars back with higher than expected dividend, $500M buyback
- Oil Mixed as US Supplies & Dollar Rise
- At least 13 injured in fire on Hong Kong metro train
- White House puts Iran 'on notice' in stark warning over missile tests
- Athletics-Russia unlikely to be re-admitted before November - IAAF