It's also National Donor Day, a time to honor organ donors for their contributions and spread awareness about donating.
Under State law, the Registry can only be accessed to determine an individual's donation status after death and only by a federally approved organ procurement organization or licensed eye and tissue bank.
For a look at the impact an organ donation can have watch the story above with a heart recipient out of Baldwinsville.
Venezuelan VP calls United States sanctions an 'attack'
The US also took action against Samark Lopez, a wealthy Venezuelan businessman who it said was a "front man" for Mr El Aissami. El Aissami's US assets were frozen and he'll be barred from entering the United States under the "Kingpin Act".
If a minor dies before they turn 18, their parents or legal guardians have the option to rescind the decision. Over 30 countries around the world, including 24 European nations, have "presumed consent" or "opt-out" policies, resulting in very high organ donation rates. There is no cost to the donor's family to enroll to be an organ donor and it will not affect the donor's medical care or funeral arrangements, the governor's office said. "This law helps turn tragedy into newfound hope for those needing a donation and I encourage all New Yorkers to take action, and get registered today".
The legislation was signed back in August.
The province said organ donors saved 380 lives in 2015 in Alberta, which was an 11 per cent increase from 2014. About 10,000 New Yorkers are now in need of organ transplants and an estimated 600 on the transplant wait list die every year, according to state Assembly Member Felix Ortiz.
- Trump loses again as Appeal court rules Muslims can enter America
- Thomas Cook cautious for 2017 despite 'solid' start to new year
- Trump slams Jewish senator for 'misrepresenting' Gorsuch remarks
- 'TommyNow': Californian cool and music festivals inspire Tommy Hilfiger
- Trump's own Supreme Court nominee criticizes his tweets against federal judge
- Jose Mourinho: 'Manchester United will not catch leaders Chelsea'
- 13 dead, thousands caught in flooding in central Indonesia
- Half-brother of North Korea's leader reportedly assassinated in Malaysia
- How Activision Blizzard Made $2B Off Their Gaming Franchises
- Arizona woman deported to Mexico despite complying with immigration officials