It's also National Donor Day, a time to honor organ donors for their contributions and spread awareness about donating.
Under State law, the Registry can only be accessed to determine an individual's donation status after death and only by a federally approved organ procurement organization or licensed eye and tissue bank.
For a look at the impact an organ donation can have watch the story above with a heart recipient out of Baldwinsville.
'Shame!': Education Secretary DeVos blocked by protesters in first school visit
The protest was originally organized by the Washington Teacher's Union and started off peacefully. One Twitter user replied to DeVos" question by telling her she could find pencils "At the store.
If a minor dies before they turn 18, their parents or legal guardians have the option to rescind the decision. Over 30 countries around the world, including 24 European nations, have "presumed consent" or "opt-out" policies, resulting in very high organ donation rates. There is no cost to the donor's family to enroll to be an organ donor and it will not affect the donor's medical care or funeral arrangements, the governor's office said. "This law helps turn tragedy into newfound hope for those needing a donation and I encourage all New Yorkers to take action, and get registered today".
The legislation was signed back in August.
The province said organ donors saved 380 lives in 2015 in Alberta, which was an 11 per cent increase from 2014. About 10,000 New Yorkers are now in need of organ transplants and an estimated 600 on the transplant wait list die every year, according to state Assembly Member Felix Ortiz.
- Arizona woman deported to Mexico despite complying with immigration officials
- At least 13 injured in fire on Hong Kong metro train
- 'TommyNow': Californian cool and music festivals inspire Tommy Hilfiger
- Venezuelan VP calls United States sanctions an 'attack'
- This drug just got the FDA's OK -- and an $89K price tag
- Jose Mourinho: 'Manchester United will not catch leaders Chelsea'
- Tom Brady doesn't think Super Bowl LI was his best game ever
- Why Was Kim Jong-un's Elder Brother Reportedly Assassinated?
- Grammys 2017: Everything you need to know ahead of the big show
- 'SNL' scores highest ratings in 6 years with Alec Baldwin as host