The Hollywood Reporter has now announced Niki Caro will direct the project, best-known for her soaring tale of a courageous, defiant Māori girl in 2002's Whale Rider; her latest, The Zookeeper's Wife, stars Jessica Chastain as the real-life woman who helped save many lives during World War II by hiding individuals within the animal cages.
Disney and producers Chris Bender, Jason Reed and Jake Weiner are taking pains to assure fans that Mulan will be culturally authentic.
Also, according to The Hollywood Reporter, she apparently beat out Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman) and Michelle MacLaren (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones).
Initially, Disney wanted an Asian director for "Mulan", courting Oscar victor Ang Lee for the job.
Disney's Mulan is now slated for release in November 2018.
Grammys 2017: Everything you need to know ahead of the big show
Other performers include: Katy Perry, Adele , Bruno Mars, The Weeknd and Carrie Underwood , as well as Lady Gaga and Metallica . The Grammys (voted by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences) make a lot of mistakes with their awards.
Disney has also expressed its intent to hire a woman to direct its first female-led superhero film, Captain Marvel.
With Beauty and the Beast just around the corner, Disney's getting down to business on their next live-action remake.
"Jurassic World" and "Avatar" sequel scribes Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver came on board in 2015 to rewrite the spec by Lauren Hynek and Elizabeth Martin. If you need something for comparison, there is already a live-action version of Mulan, titled Mulan: Rise of a Warrior.
Thus, relatedly, THR reports that Disney is working with Chinese cultural consultants and their own China based marketing and filmmaking teams, that will now include the executive producer Bill Kong, an internationally famous producer and filmmaker from Hong Kong. The studio did meet with Ang Lee and Jiang Wen (Rogue One's Baze Malbus, who is also a director), but for whatever reason, neither worked out.
Although neither films have announced a cast, Disney clarified the primary cast would be Chinese, said it is now on a "global casting search" for a Chinese actress to play the lead.
- Trump's own Supreme Court nominee criticizes his tweets against federal judge
- Sensex rebounds 173 points, Nifty tops 8800 in early trade
- Tar Heels amp up 3-point production entering Duke game
- Drug catapult found with 47-pounds of weed at US-Mexico border
- Venezuelan VP calls United States sanctions an 'attack'
- Would be pay for Trump's wall twice?
- Arizona woman deported to Mexico despite complying with immigration officials
- 'TommyNow': Californian cool and music festivals inspire Tommy Hilfiger
- Hundreds of whales die in mass stranding on New Zealand beach
- Emery, PSG look to get one over Barcelona at last