On Monday, Toyota had announced that it has sold more than 10 million cumulative hybrid vehicles, including plug-in hybrids, as of January 31.
Uchiyamada led the Prius development team, which launched the hybrid in Japan in 1997.
The figures, released on Wednesday, as Toyota trumpeted reaching the 10 million hybrid sales worldwide, show that the sales were split 7409 with Toyota and 2200 to the luxury Lexus brand with the topsellers being the Camry and Prius.
Thanks to this, Toyota estimates that as of the end of last month, the use of its hybrid vehicles had resulted in 77 million fewer tons of Carbon dioxide emissions compared to conventional gas-powered vehicles of similar size and performance.
Following the significant milestone, TMC's target is to increase global sales of its hybrid vehicles to 15 million customer deliveries by 2020 - an increase of 50 per cent.
Drug catapult found with 47-pounds of weed at US-Mexico border
Authorities say a catapult used to launch drugs from Mexico into the United States has been found and dismantled. Border Patrol agents seized the marijuana and called Mexican authorities to investigate the contraption.
Toyota is producing the model at its Tsutsumi plant and is targeting sales of 2,500 units in Japan.
Hybrid Pioneer: The new Prius combines an all new Sporty design with enjoyable driving dynamics that defy conventional notions of an Eco vehicle.
Toyota Motor Company chairman Takeshi Uchiyamada says it's been an wonderful ride to the ten million auto milestone. It also estimates that Toyota hybrid vehicles have saved around 7.66 million gallons of gasoline. The model is now in its fourth generation and became the first vehicle to be built on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA).
More than a numerical milestone, Toyota says the results demonstrate the staying power of hybrid powertrain technology, which has emerged as a mainstream solution to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants. The Prius suffered the indignity of losing place to the Ford Fusion Hybrid, which is a much lesser known hybrid vehicle.
Toyota positions PHVs as the core vehicle segment in the company's Toyota Environmental Challenge 2050―where the goal is to achieve a society in which cars, people and the environment co-exist harmoniously - and plans to continue strengthening this product line.
- ISRO successfully launched record 104 satellites including Cartosat-2 in single mission
- Trump, S.Africa's Zuma discuss security and trade
- Half-brother of North Korea's leader reportedly assassinated in Malaysia
- White House tours to resume March 7th
- 'Shame!': Education Secretary DeVos blocked by protesters in first school visit
- Emery, PSG look to get one over Barcelona at last
- Toshiba Chairman Steps Down Over $6.3 Billion Writedown
- 'SNL' scores highest ratings in 6 years with Alec Baldwin as host
- Arizona woman deported to Mexico despite complying with immigration officials
- Why Was Kim Jong-un's Elder Brother Reportedly Assassinated?