The confirmation from the Presidency was issued after social media users started speculating about the reason for the call and the authenticity of the information.
Trump spent the morning calling two of the continent's most prominent leaders, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari and South African President Jacob Zuma (pictured here), to discuss combating terrorism, trade relations and other issues.
New US President Donald Trump loves the phone and worked it again yesterday on his "Sub Saharan Africa Day". "There are six hundred United States companies in South Africa and strong trade relations between the two countries".
Microsoft boss calls for Geneva Convention for cyber conflict and warfare
That could mean not building backdoors into programs sold in other countries and not taking part in work to create cyberweapons. Technology companies, not armies, are the first responders when cyber attacks occur, he noted.
The Presidency says President Jacob Zuma and his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump have reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening the already strong bilateral relations between the two countries. No details of what the meetings will centre on had been released at the time of going to print.
For the two African states, the call could signify Trump's support for the two African large economies. It was the first conversation between the two leaders since President Trump's inauguration last month. Both also were on very good terms with the erstwhile administration of Barack Obama.
President Donald Trump is fully aware of South Africa's role and what the country has done in the past, and how serious people takes South Africa. But his controversial travel ban, one of his first major executive orders, has targeted three African countries: Sudan, Libya and Somalia.
- Half-brother of North Korea's leader reportedly assassinated in Malaysia
- Champions Real Comeback To Sink Brave Napoli
- This drug just got the FDA's OK -- and an $89K price tag
- Hundreds of whales die in mass stranding on New Zealand beach
- White House tours to resume March 7th
- Mulan nets 'Whale Rider' director for live-action remake
- Jose Mourinho: 'Manchester United will not catch leaders Chelsea'
- ISRO successfully launched record 104 satellites including Cartosat-2 in single mission
- 13 dead, thousands caught in flooding in central Indonesia
- Sara Lee, Sargento Cheese Recalls: Listeria Fears