The confirmation from the Presidency was issued after social media users started speculating about the reason for the call and the authenticity of the information.
Trump spent the morning calling two of the continent's most prominent leaders, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari and South African President Jacob Zuma (pictured here), to discuss combating terrorism, trade relations and other issues.
New US President Donald Trump loves the phone and worked it again yesterday on his "Sub Saharan Africa Day". "There are six hundred United States companies in South Africa and strong trade relations between the two countries".
Trump's own Supreme Court nominee criticizes his tweets against federal judge
Trump called Robart a "so-called judge" whose "ridiculous" opinion "essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country". In 2010, the New York Times reported that Blumenthal had implied during a 2008 speech that he had served in Vietnam.
The Presidency says President Jacob Zuma and his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump have reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening the already strong bilateral relations between the two countries. No details of what the meetings will centre on had been released at the time of going to print.
For the two African states, the call could signify Trump's support for the two African large economies. It was the first conversation between the two leaders since President Trump's inauguration last month. Both also were on very good terms with the erstwhile administration of Barack Obama.
President Donald Trump is fully aware of South Africa's role and what the country has done in the past, and how serious people takes South Africa. But his controversial travel ban, one of his first major executive orders, has targeted three African countries: Sudan, Libya and Somalia.
- 'SNL' scores highest ratings in 6 years with Alec Baldwin as host
- Why Was Kim Jong-un's Elder Brother Reportedly Assassinated?
- Jose Mourinho: 'Manchester United will not catch leaders Chelsea'
- Grammys 2017: Everything you need to know ahead of the big show
- Greece evacuates an estimated 75000 people to defuse WWII bomb
- Emery, PSG look to get one over Barcelona at last
- 13 dead, thousands caught in flooding in central Indonesia
- Venezuelan VP calls United States sanctions an 'attack'
- Mulan nets 'Whale Rider' director for live-action remake
- Half-brother of North Korea's leader reportedly assassinated in Malaysia