"While this is a sad day to leave so many great coaches, teammates and executives, I look forward to seeing what the future holds for me", Mangold said. The seven-time Pro Bowler missed only 12 games during his Jets career, but missed eight games during the 2016 season due to an ankle injury. They selected him out of Ohio State with the 29th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, and he started at center in that year's season opener. (Woody) Johnson and the entire organization for making me a Jet. "It means a lot to see all the No. 74 jerseys in the crowd every Sunday. Thank you for a fantastic 11 years!"
Mangold has remained one of the league's sturdier centers when healthy, but he missed extended action last season because of an ankle injury. With the Jets headed for a full-on rebuild and in dire need of salary cap space, the release made sense: Mangold freed over $9 million, and turned 33 last month.
According to Spotrac, the Jets will save another $9.075 million with the release of Mangold.
10 things to know about this year's Oscars
Best animated feature: "Kubo and the Two Strings"; "Moana"; "My Life as a Zucchini"; "The Red Turtle"; " Zootopia ". From all of its nominations, it is clear the academy loves "Lion" and this might be the best spot to award the film.
Mangold was entering the final year of his contract at a non-guaranteed salary of about $6.1 million. Prior to 2016, Mangold missed just four games in 10 seasons, but missed eight games previous year due to an ankle injury.
Wesley Johnson would be Mangold's likely replacement in the short-term, but it's unclear whether he's capable of starting full-time. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Mangold is not retiring.
- Arum dismisses reports of Pacquiao-Khan fight deal as 'BS'
- Atletico Madrid have identified Antoine Griezmann's replacement
- Derrick Lewis Held Stomach To Avoid 'Crapping In Cage'
- Google Research aiming to 'remove' headsets within VR environment
- Accused Tara Grinstead killer makes first appearance
- Thousands watch, wait for giraffe birth online
- Matt Nix's X-Men series: Jamie Chung cast as Blink
- Budapest drops 2024 Games bid
- Al-Bab fully taken from ISIL — Turkish military
- Carrollton Police Save Overdosed Dog After Eating Heroin Stash, Arrest Owners