But residents of the small Alberta town of Onoway were left puzzled and not a little bit alarmed to discover bright pink water running from their taps Monday night.
CTV reports that the mayor of the town, which is about an hour northwest of Edmonton, issued a statement in which he blamed the water's reddish hue to potassium permanganate, a chemical disinfectant used to treat wastewater and, among other things, remove hydrogen sulfide, which produces a rotten egg smell. "Thanks town of Onoway", posted Trevor Winfield, along with a video of his bathroom sink filling up with Pepto-coloured water.
In a statement, the Mayor said: "The reservoir was drained, however some of the chemical still made it into the distribution system". "Potassium permanganate is used in normal treatment processes to help remove iron and manganese and residents were never at risk". By Tuesday many households had bright pink drinking water. The substance, called potassium permanganate, had turned the water pink.
Leicester provided breathing room after 3-1 win over Hull
Leicester: Schmeichel; Simpson, Morgan, Huth, Fuchs; Albrighton, Drinkwater, Ndidi, Mahrez (Slimani 81); Okazaki (Gray 69), Vardy. Yet the Tigers have been looking more clinical in front of goal under Silva and took their first real opportunity when it arose.
Imagine turning the tap and having neon pink liquid pour out instead of clear water.
"It started out with my neighbour asking me if I had pink water, and I'm like "I don't think so", Vicki Van Zanten Heale said. "Absolutely, without a doubt", said Krasnow. The mayor added that Alberta Environment officials would be visiting the town to review its system to prevent the situation from occurring again. "And we do apologize for that".
"It was weird. I just didn't use it, I had leftovers, I put what we had in the microwave, I didn't need water to make supper".
"It was very, very pink".
- Uber uses 'secret program' Greyball to hide from regulators
- San Francisco 49ers release wide receiver Torrey Smith
- Boy's drowned body found as mother charged
- Fantasy football players should be wary of Brandon Marshall joining the Giants
- Patriots offered first-round pick for Brandin Cooks
- North Korea warns forum of 'actual war'
- Senators push Trump to release White House, Mar-a-Lago visitor logs
- Harry Kane leads Tottenham to important win against Everton
- A magnetic shield around Mars may make it habitable
- Uber will operate in BC by end of 2017: transportation minister