Supporters of President Donald Trump are urging for a boycott of McDonalds after the fast food giant's official account Tweeted that the president is "disgusting" and "has small hands".
McDonald's later tweeted that its account was "compromised" but has since been secured.
The company said that the account was "hacked by an external source".
Other Twitter users responded to the original McDonald's tweet, with some joking that they would visit McDonald's more as a result.
The tweet, sent Thursday morning, was pinned to the top of the account before it was pulled from its feed.
Trump also starred in an advert for McDonald's back in 2002, boasting about his deal-making prowess to company mascot Grimace.
USA Gymnastics CEO resigns in wake of Nassar, sex-abuse controversies
Center for SafeSport establishes an important framework for every National Governing Body to strengthen its resolve against abuse. Nassar, the longtime USA Gymnastics national women's team physician, is accused of sexually abusing more than 100 young athletes.
When McDonald's calls itself a "modern, progressive burger company", what it means is that it hopes to "lure back customers" by selling superficially higher-end products for low prices.
McDonald's came under fire by Trump supporters after an anti-Trump tweet was posted from the restaurant's Twitter handle.
Still, there are often cheap and easy ways to secure social media accounts.
Trump, who is known to enjoy fast food quite a bit, once appeared in a commercial for McDonald's. The prevailing conspiracy theory is that some fed-up social media professional chose to wield their company's PR might to further their own political leanings.
That tweet included a new hashtag, #BoycottMcDonalds. "The strategy here is, 'How can I make my position go viral?' The old strategy is to say something that is blatantly provocative, but the new one is to hitchhike on a major brand". He's previously praised the restaurant and other fast food chains, including posting a photo of himself eating McDonald's on his private jet during his campaign past year.
This one was actually pretty easy to accomplish, because as it turns out, McDonald's and Trump have a history.
- Tillerson Says State Department Spending 'Unsustainable'
- Theresa May battles party rebels for power to trigger Brexit
- Kansas City Chiefs: Dontari Poe Signs with Atlanta Falcons
- Tesla Announces $1.15 Billion Capital Raise, Musk Buys Shares
- Former Head Coach Gary Kubiak congratulates DeMarcus Ware on retirement
- Spring Forward Saturday Is Here, Baldwin Park: Change Your Smoke Alarm Battery
- NCAA projections: Final guess says K-State is in
- Champions League: Leicester City boss Shakespeare wary of Sevilla threat
- Successor Rumored To Launch in June 2017
- Shehzad and Kamran earn Pakistan recalls