On Monday night, Jackson crossed paths with Timothy Caughman, a black man who was rummaging through garbage on a sidewalk in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, according to the police account. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital Center where he later died.
He allegedly boarded a New York City-bound Bolt Bus from Baltimore Friday and booked a room at a Midtown hotel from Friday to Monday afternoon, police said. "It is believed that he was specifically intending to target male blacks".
"[Jackson] picked NY because it's the media capital of the world. There happened to be no one else around".
James Harris Jackson, 28, told officers he was motivated by his rage against black men who get romantically involved with white women, sources said.
He lived in transitional housing for people with HIV/AIDS, the New York Daily News reported.
Gennady Golovkin Successfully Defends Titles Vs. Danny Jacobs In Close Fight
The fight between Daniel Jacobs and Gennady Golovkin will take place at Madison Square Garden in NY on Saturday, 9:00 pm. Golovkin, in the first half of the fight, was reduced to looking like a head-hunter desperate for one big shot.
Caughman described himself in his Twitter bio as "a can and bottle recycler, autograph collecter in NY city".
NYPD detectives are looking at his social media accounts and speaking to Jackson's family members and associates in Maryland as they continue to investigate.
Investigators said they believed Jackson was considering other attacks but instead surrendered at a stationhouse after noticing his photo in media reports. "He saw himself on the news, so I have to thank the media", Aubrey said.
He has been charged with murder in the second degree, a charge that could be upgraded if the killing is also classified as a hate crime.
Police say around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday Jackson walked into a Times Square police station, told officers he should be arrested and that he was armed with a knife.
- Will work for development without discrimination: Adityanath
- Amherst, Northampton among MA cities listed as uncooperative with immigration detainer requests
- Documents: Flynn paid thousands by Russian interests
- Mets assign Tim Tebow to Single-A Columbia Fireflies
- François Fillon placed under formal investigation over 'fake jobs'
- How to buy and listen to Drake's 'More Life' on Amazon
- Google Introduces New Shortcuts to Instantly Search for Information
- Ketel One Launches Arnold Palmer Limited Edition Bottle
- Stocks rise ahead of Fed, Dutch vote result
- North Korea has expanded its enriched uranium facility, United Nations nuclear inspector says