November 2010: The Graff Pink, a 24.78-carat "fancy intense pink" stone described as "one of the greatest diamonds ever discovered", auctioned for $46.2m (£29m).
It sold for $83m in Geneva in 2013 but the buyer later defaulted.
The auction house wrote "a new chapter in its story by offering it for sale in Hong Kong, now a global epicenter for the world's wealthy", said Tobias Kormind of 77 Diamonds, an online diamond jewelry seller.
"Sotheby s Hong Kong is very proud to have this record", its Asia chairman Patti Wong told AFP, adding this was a new world auction record for any type of jewel.Читайте также: Brock Lesnar Not Working WWE Payback?, More On His Schedule
The previous recoed was helf by the Oppenheimer Blue, which sold for $50 million last May.
Originally a 132.5 carat rough diamond, the Pink Star took two years to cut and polish after being mined in Botswana by De Beers in 1999.
The auction house was forced to buy the diamond from the seller because it had guaranteed a $60 million sale price.
Do you have a minute?.. This is indispensable journalism, brought to you by the largest, most experienced newsroom in the region. We need your support to keep our talented reporters, editors and photographers holding government accountable, looking out for the public interest, and separating fact from fiction.
We're thankful for your support in every way.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Clause allows Trump to withdraw money from businesses
- Carter Page Russia Spy Meeting: 3 key takeaways on former Trump adviser
- House measures rebuke North Korea for belligerent behavior
- Trump reverses, says Obamacare repeal back on his agenda
- European Union says it will recognize any decision by Syrians on country's future
- No decision yet on staying in Paris climate accord
- Ivanka Trump, Chelsea Clinton commemorate Equal Pay Day
- Proposal has Rikers Island becoming part of LaGuardia
- Bangladesh captain retires from Twenty20 cricket
- Trump admin cites abortion as it halts funding to UN agency