Chappelle then broke the news about Murphy, speaking publicly about it for the first time: "And today, I got some awful news".
Yesterday, the world learned the tragic news that comedy icon Charlie Murphy had passed away at the age of 57. "You went to the piano and the song that you sang that night reminded me of my friend Charlie Murphy". In a odd coincidence, one of Murphy's most beloved Chappelle's Show skits was when he recounted a story about playing basketball with the "Purple Rain" singer in a segment of "True Hollywood Stories".
"One to Sleep On: Release the past to rest as deeply as possible", he tweeted on April 11.
Before his success as a comedian, Murphy served as a boiler technician for six years after enlisting in the United States Navy.
"For me to start a comedy career after he established that was really a big risk", he said.
Actor From Kendall Jenner Pepsi Commercial Addresses Backlash
The ad was blasted on social media after its release, prompting Pepsi to pull the spot a day later. Jenner appears to have a strategy for winning over at least one of the cops.
Certainly, Charlie will be missed and his legacy will live on through his work.
His wife, Tisha Taylor Murphy, died of cancer in 2009. "Thank you for the outpouring of condolences and prayers", the statement said.
Murphy died ahead of an upcoming gig he had booked in Detroit.
Meanwhile Eddie Murphy and his family have addressed the loss of their loved one.
Debra wrote, "RIP Charlie Murphy".
Watch Charlie Murphy's throwback interview with DJ Whoo Kid below to see the comedian in his element.
- Teen asylum-seeker ID'd as suspect in Norway explosive case
- What is the US goal In Syria?
- Sebastian Vettel masters Lewis Hamilton to win Australian Grand Prix
- Mexico USA in Joint Bid
- Arsene Wenger: "I'm disappointed and determined to put things right"
- One dead, three wounded in US rail station shooting
- Sharks to face Oilers in first round of playoffs
- LeEco, Vizio Scuttle Proposed Merger
- Concern over agitating TN farmers expressed in RS
- Breast Ban? UFC fight in limbo over breast implants