He found him and began to swim back to the shore.
According to his profile on the Jewish General Hospital, Wainberg's research focus at the time of his death was on finding "novel concepts" to prevent HIV infection in developing countries.
Batist noted he had co-published a paper with Wainberg on the topic of cancer bio-markers and said it was an indication of his brilliance he was able to make contributions to fields outside his immediate expertise.
Waineberg was a Medicine and Microbiology professor at Montreal's McGill University, where he received his bachelor's degree, as well as director of the McGill University AIDS Centre.
Dr. Wainberg identified 3TC (Lamivudine) as an antiviral, and it became one of the first effective treatments for people who contracted HIV. Other beach-goers went into the water and assisted his son in bringing him onto the shore.
"Mark Wainberg was a giant in HIV science".Читайте также: Oil edges up as Saudis reported to back extension of production cuts
A friend of, and informal adviser to, UNAIDS for many years, he also served as the President of the International AIDS Society from 1998 to 2000.
Dr. Wainberg said the world should also spend more money on getting antiviral drugs to the estimated 7 million people living with AIDS in the world who can not afford treatment.
Firefighters continued performing CPR as Dr. Wainberg was taken to hospital, where he died.
In recent years, Dr. Wainberg had once again returned to the lab.
The internationally renowned scientist, who was at the forefront of HIV research from the very beginning of the global AIDS epidemic, drowned on Wednesday while swimming off Bal Harbour in Florida, Radio Canada said. His ensuing AIDS research earned him honors such as the Order of Canada and the Legion d'honneur, the highest honors for civilians given by Canada and France, respectively.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- What is the US goal In Syria?
- AITC wins Bengal by-poll: BJP emerges as the main Opposition
- Arsene Wenger: "I'm disappointed and determined to put things right"
- Gun theft fugitive caught in southwest Wisconsin
- Back to scratch on tax reform
- One dead, three wounded in US rail station shooting
- Clinton Calls For Action To Stop Russian Meddling In US Elections
- Dave Chappelle remembers Charlie Murphy: 'Everybody in comedy is heartbroken'
- Health inspectors ding Trump's Mar-a-Lago eateries
- Sharks to face Oilers in first round of playoffs