But unlike Benegal's film which was warm and humorous, writer-director Srijit Mukherji's "Begum Jaan", which is a rehash of his 2015 released Bengali film "Rajkahini", has a serious, overdramatic, atmospheric palette. The Hollywood release Fast and Furious 8 is affecting the release of Begum Jaan and it is obvious that Vidya Balan's starrer will get heavily affected by this. The film is set against the backdrop of Partition, when Begum Jaan is asked to vacate her brothel, as the East India Company decides to draw a division line in Punjab. And then starts a war between Begum Jaan's team of women and government officials.
When we first meet Begum Jaan, she is ruthlessly seen slapping a new girl which sets our expectations from the character sky high.
On the whole BEGUM JAAN that faces stiff competition from the Hollywood release will have to rely on positive word of mouth to post good weekend figures.
Pakistan Censor Board's decision to ban "Begum Jaan" leaves Mahesh Bhatt upset By Prajakta Ajgaonkar Vidya Balan-starrer "Begum Jaan" has been rejected by the Censor Board of Pakistan and the producer Mahesh Bhatt is upset.
Watch Batman React To Thor: Ragnarok Trailer
For now, let's take a minute to analyze Hela's look in #ThorRagnarok versus her most iconic appearance from the comics. The crowd is amazed and lost for words to which Thor looks up at Grandmaster and shouts: "We know each other".
Vidya Balan has delivered brilliance performance. The film is directed by Srijit Mukherji and is produced by Mukesh Bhatt and Vishesh Bhatt.
Trailer of both the films is awesome.
Begum Jaan is very dialogue-oriented, and while that is no fault, the preachy and obvious effort to prove a point, suits drama rather than cinema. First half of the film is quite a yawn fest but the second half picked up pace with Vidya's intense act. Vidya Balan played the lead role as the madame of a brothel house and it is needless to say she might have come up with a commendable performance. For a woman shown to be so ruthless when it comes to her business, she displays a baffling lack of knowledge about the outside world, thus making her fight seem pointless. You will, at times, find it hard to decide if you should sympathise with her character or feel agitated by her authoritativeness.
- One dead, three wounded in US rail station shooting
- Clinton Calls For Action To Stop Russian Meddling In US Elections
- Sebastian Vettel masters Lewis Hamilton to win Australian Grand Prix
- 4 bodies in NY park are apparent homicide victims
- Eramo, Rolling Stone Reach Settlement in Defamation Lawsuit
- What is the US goal In Syria?
- Dave Chappelle remembers Charlie Murphy: 'Everybody in comedy is heartbroken'
- Oakland Native Damian Lillard Predict Blazers Upset Over Warriors In 6 Games
- Prince George, Princess Charlotte to attend Pippa's wedding
- Multiple user support card shows up for some Google Home users