One officer was hit in the face.
The 19-year-old opened fired on two officers with a shotgun "fearing for the safety" of his mother and brother, Detroit police Chief James Craig said at a media briefing on Monday.
Craig said the officers were responding to a 911 call about a burglary at about 11:45 p.m. Sunday.
There was a series of three or four calls about a burglary, the chief said, but in the last call the caller said there were flashlights outside the home. The other officer, who was hit in the face by two shell pellets, is in critical, but stable condition and is expected to recover.
They were outside when they were fired upon.
"Appears that this is an unfortunate situation", Craig said.
Protesters demand Trump's tax returns
He was the first major-party nominee in four decades to not release his tax returns, saying it was because he was under audit. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., and Jamie Raskin, D-Md., are scheduled to speak at the march in Washington.
Craig said the teen who fired the shot is remorseful for what happened and just wants to make sure the officers will be okay.
Both officers were in full uniform when they went to the home.
"Right after the shot, he called 911", Redd said.
According to police, one officer was hit in the face by two shotgun shell pellets and the other was injured by flying glass. He's been with the department for two years. "We knew then that a cop must have been shot", she said. On March 15, two officers were injured on the city's west side during a shootout.
Hayes, whose 27-year-old-son is on the police force, said the area is normally quiet.
- Westbrook breaks Robertson's record for triple-doubles
- 4 bodies in NY park are apparent homicide victims
- US, Mexico,Canada announce joint bid for World Cup 2026
- Chechnya gay concentration camp horror
- NATO chief: Trump has been 'very consistent' in support of alliance
- 7.13 percent voter turnout recorded in Srinagar LS bypoll
- Oakland Native Damian Lillard Predict Blazers Upset Over Warriors In 6 Games
- Gun theft fugitive caught in southwest Wisconsin
- Jackson says that a trade might be best for Carmelo, Knicks
- Russia's biggest search engine beats Google in antitrust case