The fire was put out, but the flight diverted to Grand Rapids, Michigan where it then sat on the tarmac for three hours while emergency crews took the battery away and inspected the plane.
A San Francisco-bound JetBlue flight was diverted Tuesday night after a carry-on bag containing an electronic device started smoking, the airline said.
"I was stunned", said passenger Kat Honniball.
However, airport authorities report that the fire onboard the aircraft had been extinguished by the time the plane landed.
To read this article in one of Houston's most-spoken languages, click on the button below.
'Declare cow as national animal'
It is only to regulate the animal market and the sale of cattle in these markets, and ensuring welfare of cattle dealt in market. The Centre's bracketed rules defined cattle as bulls, bullocks, cows, buffaloes, steers, heifers and calves and camels.
Flight attendants and passengers remained calm during the situation, according to Honniball. It's not clear what type of device caught fire.
The scare draws new attention to the potential hazards of lithium ion batteries on an aircraft at 30,000 feet.
A smoking laptop battery forced an unexpected landing for a transatlantic JetBlue flight Tuesday, renewing questions about the safety of flying with lithium-ion batteries. And safety advocates have warned that an electronics ban, which mostly affects flights leaving Middle Eastern and North African countries to the US and Britain, could be a fire risk since passengers have to pack their laptops and other large devices into checked bags that are placed in unmanned cargo holds.
Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly was asked about the possible expansion during an interview with "Fox News Sunday" over the weekend.
Spurred by fears of terrorism, the United States government in March banned laptops in the passenger cabin on global flights from airports across the Middle East and North Africa.
- Nest's New Security Camera Can Distinguish Between People and Pets
- No surprise: It's Cavs-Warriors in the NBA Finals, again
- Lindsey Graham: Comey's decision to act on possibly fake Russian document 'incompetent'
- Cleveland fires 1 officer, suspends 2nd in Rice shooting
- Rocket Lab: New Zealand space launch is first from a private site
- Flag march by police in violence-hit Saharanpur villages
- Marc Bartra returns to starting XI as Borussia Dortmund secure third
- Conte wins LMA Manager of the year
- Yogi Adityanath practicing 'untouchability': Congress on Kushinagar Dalits row
- French president flexes diplomatic muscles in Putin meeting