In a series of morning tweets, the Republican president quoted a Monday letter from Page in which he asked to address the House Intelligence Committee promptly and referred to faulty testimony from U.S. intelligence officials.
- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 31, 2017...case against him & now wants to clear his name by showing "the false or misleading testimony by James Comey, John Brennan..."
For example, Trump, apparently quoting a letter Page sent to lawmakers seemed to argue this morning that the former directors of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Central Intelligence Agency delivered "false or misleading testimony" while under oath.
Democrats fired back, saying James Comey was ousted as FBI director in an attempt to disrupt an investigation that some experts said could lead to Trump's impeachment.
Melania Trump Wears $51K Dolce & Gabbana Jacket in Sicily
During one occasion, the First Lady donned a vibrant purple Reem Acra gown with a flowing cape to match her famous tousled locks. By all accounts, Melania Trump has come out of her shell on this, her debut trip overseas as first lady of the United States.
Fellow Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, have urged Mr Trump to tweet less and more wisely.
On Thursday, Page said the support from Trump was "kind" and is the kind that "really reflects the support he gives to Americans in general".
ABC News reports that Carter Page is "more than cooperating" with the House Permanent Committee on Intelligence. "Stop tweeting about it, stop talking about it and get about the business of your agenda". It appears from his aforementioned letter that a meeting with Congressional staff was postponed; rather than work out the scheduling with the staff, Page sent them a letter, which he also provided to certain media outlets, in which he demands the opportunity to address what he claims is "false and misleading testimony" from Brennan and Comey.
Comey and Brennan testified before the committee earlier this month in separate sessions, where they reaffirmed that the Trump campaign's contacts with Russian officials during the election were being scrutinized by the USA intelligence community.
Trump's tweet about Page is a marked departure from the administration's previous tactic of diminishing Page's role as a former Trump adviser. The investigation includes looking into Russia's election meddling as well as potential collusion between Trump campaign associates and Kremlin operatives.
- French president flexes diplomatic muscles in Putin meeting
- IS group claims responsibility for terror attack in downtown Kabul
- French Open 2017: Rafael Nadal seals victory as Robin Haase double faults
- Trump hails the fallen and their families at Arlington
- Trump hits out at 'fake news' following Kushner reports
- LeBron James tops Michael Jordan as all-time playoffs scoring leader
- NBA Draft Lottery: Bulls still have minuscule chance at that Kings pick
- 'WannaCry': Contrary to Centre's assurance, ransomware to spread rapidly, warn IT experts
- Yogi Adityanath practicing 'untouchability': Congress on Kushinagar Dalits row
- Russians Bragged They Had 'Derogatory' Information on Team Trump