The Portland Police Bureau tweeted news of the arrest Friday, but did not immediately release the man's name.
Police released surveillance photos of a man with long hair and a baseball cap fleeing the scene of the attack late Thursday.
According to The Oregonian, Tschaggeny is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday on allegations of second-degree theft, tampering with physical evidence, and second-degree abuse of a corpse.
Police named the man as George Tschaggeny a short time after he was arrested at a homeless camp beneath a Portland highway overpass.
The Washington Post reports that Ricky Best, an Army veteran stabbed to death after he helped defend teenage girls against a white supremacist shouting racial slurs at them, was also a victim of theft.
Best, 53, was killed along with 23-year-old Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche.
Another Chelsea youngster on the move
Newly-promoted Newcastle United will move for unsettled former Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina , reports The Mirror . Abraham has shown great promise at the tender age of 19, and he could well thrive for the Magpies next season.
Micah David-Cole Fletcher, 21, won a poetry slam in 2013 with a piece about the prejudices faced by minorities, including Muslim Americans. "It's completely heartless. There's no other way to describe what happened", Simpson said.
Tschaggeny was found wearing Best's ring, which he apparently had removed from Best's finger after the stabbing, said police spokesman Pete Simpson. Best died on the train and another victim died at a hospital.
Authorities said Tschaggeny stole Best's belongings as commuters fled the train. "The contents of the backpack include personal items important to the Best family".
Christian attacked the men after they tried to protect two young black girls at whom Christian was yelling racist and anti-Muslim remarks.
The suspect in the stabbing attack has been charged with aggravated murder, attempted murder, possession of a restricted weapon, and second-degree intimidation. "People in the community saw this and felt the understandable rage that I think everybody felt".
- UN Ready to Impose Further Sanctions on North Korea
- Flight diverted when lithium battery catches fire onboard
- Russians Bragged They Had 'Derogatory' Information on Team Trump
- Erdogan Bodyguards Accused of Attacking DC Protesters Released
- NBA Draft Lottery: Bulls still have minuscule chance at that Kings pick
- IS group claims responsibility for terror attack in downtown Kabul
- Cleveland fires 1 officer, suspends 2nd in Rice shooting
- Trump hails the fallen and their families at Arlington
- Yogi Adityanath practicing 'untouchability': Congress on Kushinagar Dalits row
- Online game Words with Friends adds 'covfefe' to its list