Phil Mickelson is yet to win the U.S. Open, the only major tournament that he has not been able to come out victorious during what will one day be a Hall of Fame career.
Phil Mickelson says he will miss this month's U.S. Open to attend his oldest daughter's high school graduation.
Mickelson has not officially withdrawn, but it seems only a first-round weather washout could allow him to participate.
Mickelson first informed The New York Times of his decision before teeing off in the third round of the Memorial on Saturday.
Djokovic in great Paris escape, Nadal cruises
Belgian 10th seed David Goffin quit his third-round match after suffering an ankle injury when he got caught up in court covers. He has a 58-11 win-loss record behind Rafael Nadal (75-2) and Roger Federer (65-16) while Vilas recorded 58-17.
"I didn't want Mike Davis and the USGA to be caught off guard when they made their pairings for television on Wednesday, and I want the alternate to know that he most likely will be in and to prepare properly", Mickelson added.
The five-time major victor who has never won the U.S. Open said he's been aware of the conflict for about six months.
"It doesn't look good for me playing but I am really excited about this moment in our family's life". "I'm always holding out hope".
A U.S. Open runner-up in 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009 and 2013, Mickelson has featured in every edition of the championship since 1993. "It wasn't really something that we discussed, because it really wasn't much of a decision".
However, the American said he would have left wherever he was on the scoreboard had his wife Amy gone into labour. Mickelson said that he had wrestled with the latest conflict for months and that Amanda had assured him that she would not mind if he were absent.
- Phil Jones warns team-mates on Europa League final
- Flight diverted when lithium battery catches fire onboard
- Another Chelsea youngster on the move
- Nest's New Security Camera Can Distinguish Between People and Pets
- Trump, Abbas Call for Revival of Palestinian-Israeli Peace Talks
- Cleveland fires 1 officer, suspends 2nd in Rice shooting
- Online game Words with Friends adds 'covfefe' to its list
- Google marks start of ICC Champions Trophy with doodle you can't resist
- Erdogan Bodyguards Accused of Attacking DC Protesters Released
- NBA Draft Lottery: Bulls still have minuscule chance at that Kings pick