Phil Mickelson is yet to win the U.S. Open, the only major tournament that he has not been able to come out victorious during what will one day be a Hall of Fame career.
Phil Mickelson says he will miss this month's U.S. Open to attend his oldest daughter's high school graduation.
Mickelson has not officially withdrawn, but it seems only a first-round weather washout could allow him to participate.
Mickelson first informed The New York Times of his decision before teeing off in the third round of the Memorial on Saturday.
NBA Draft Lottery: Bulls still have minuscule chance at that Kings pick
Ball's dad, Lavar Ball, already stated Lonzo would play only for the Lakers anyway - not that that necessarily means much. The reaction was a positive one, although team representative Joel Embiid seemed upset to not get the first pick.
"I didn't want Mike Davis and the USGA to be caught off guard when they made their pairings for television on Wednesday, and I want the alternate to know that he most likely will be in and to prepare properly", Mickelson added.
The five-time major victor who has never won the U.S. Open said he's been aware of the conflict for about six months.
"It doesn't look good for me playing but I am really excited about this moment in our family's life". "I'm always holding out hope".
A U.S. Open runner-up in 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009 and 2013, Mickelson has featured in every edition of the championship since 1993. "It wasn't really something that we discussed, because it really wasn't much of a decision".
However, the American said he would have left wherever he was on the scoreboard had his wife Amy gone into labour. Mickelson said that he had wrestled with the latest conflict for months and that Amanda had assured him that she would not mind if he were absent.
- Netflix CEO Reed Hastings loves when other companies pick fights with him
- Carter Page: Reports of Russian Contacts 'False and Misleading'
- French Open 2017: Rafael Nadal seals victory as Robin Haase double faults
- Cleveland fires 1 officer, suspends 2nd in Rice shooting
- Police says tiger who killed zookeeper is unharmed
- Google marks start of ICC Champions Trophy with doodle you can't resist
- Scientists detect Einstein gravitational waves for a third time
- Djokovic in great Paris escape, Nadal cruises
- IS group claims responsibility for terror attack in downtown Kabul
- House committee issues subpoenas; Comey OK'd to testify