Fun fact is that this is the consecutive 13th year that Indian kids are rocking out there. Thankfully, we've now returned to ensuring one of two children is really sad, as the 2017 Spelling Bee had a single victor, no tiebreaker rounds needed.
Ananya clinched the championship by correctly spelling the word "marocain".
Still holding the trophy, the Golden State Warriors fan wished her team good luck in the ongoing National Basketball Association finals.
Another Chelsea youngster on the move
Newly-promoted Newcastle United will move for unsettled former Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina , reports The Mirror . Abraham has shown great promise at the tender age of 19, and he could well thrive for the Magpies next season.
It was the first time since 2013 that the bee declared a sole champion. Instead, she simply (and expressionlessly) asked for the word's definition - it's a piece of ribbed crêpe fabric - as well as its parts of speech and language of origin. It had added a tiebreaker test, but it did not come into play. "It was interesting to go back and forth for so many rounds". Ananya Vinay, 12, beat 14-year-old Rohan Rajeev and became the 13th consecutive victor of Indian origin. She aced words like "nyctinasty" and "tapas". She barely reacted to her victory before she was bear-hugged by her father, who had sprinted onto the stage.
Mira Dedhia, trying to become the first offspring of a past competitor to win, finished third. Shourav Dasari, a past victor of both minor-league bees, was described as the consensus favorite as the ESPN broadcast began.
Whether or not this event is touted in the States, the US Scripp National Spelling Bee is making quite a headline today in India. Her mother, Lekshmi Nair, competed in 1988, 1989 and 1990. And spellers get tripped up by words that many older people come across frequently. "Shourav is one of the greatest spellers of all time and he's probably the best speller that never won".
- Scientists detect Einstein gravitational waves for a third time
- Carter Page: Reports of Russian Contacts 'False and Misleading'
- Erdogan Bodyguards Accused of Attacking DC Protesters Released
- Source Politico: Trump's climate conundrum nears a verdict
- NBA Draft Lottery: Bulls still have minuscule chance at that Kings pick
- Trump, Abbas Call for Revival of Palestinian-Israeli Peace Talks
- Russians Bragged They Had 'Derogatory' Information on Team Trump
- 'Declare cow as national animal'
- IS group claims responsibility for terror attack in downtown Kabul
- House committee issues subpoenas; Comey OK'd to testify