A newly released classified document says Russian hackers attacked at least one US voting software supplier days before last year's presidential election.
A federal contractor with top security clearance faces charges after allegedly leaking classified information to an online media outlet, the Justice Department announced Monday.
Russian hackers used phishing emails in an attempt to compromise USA election officials, says an NSA report. The report, dated May 5, 2017, is the most detailed US government account of Russian interference in the election that has yet come to light.
Reality Leigh Winner, 25, a contractor with Pluribus International Corporation in Georgia, is accused of "removing classified material from a government facility and mailing it to a news outlet", according to a federal complaint.
The US Justice Department said on Monday (5 June) that victor was a contractor with Pluribus International Corporation and was assigned to a US government agency facility in Georgia.
In late October, the hackers set up a Gmail account that appeared to be from an employee at VR Systems and launched a spear-phishing attack in the days following against local government organizations, The Intercept reports.
Del Potro shows sporting spirit, closes in on Murray clash
The match was locked at 1-1 after Del Potro had taken the first set 6-3 before Almagro claimed the next by the same score. Afterwards, Del Potro revealed afterwards that he encouraged him to think of his family and his new-born baby.
Last week Russian President Vladimir Putin's denied that the Kremlin interfered.
According to the document, the NSA compiled its report based on evidence it received in April this year.
The Intercept said that the agency, Washington's most important signals intelligence body, sought first to dissuade them from publishing it, and then requested redactions. They successfully gained access to "elements of multiple U.S. state or local electoral boards", according to the document.
"Releasing classified material without authorization threatens our nation's security and undermines public faith in government", Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said in a statement announcing the charges against victor. "All this craziness has happened all of a sudden".
While the criminal complaint doesn't identify the government agency, the news outlet, or the report victor allegedly leaked, it does reveal that the report was published May 5, 2017. Federal authorities said she printed out a copy of the report and mailed it to The Intercept.
"Approximately a few days later, victor unlawfully transmitted by mail the intelligence reporting to an online news outlet", the Justice Department continued, adding that victor admitted printing the document following her arrest.
Asked if victor had confessed, Nichols said, "If there is a confession, the government has not shown it to me". Investigation into the six people involved in printing that document revealed victor had been in contact with The Intercept around the time it changed hands.
- Source Politico: Trump's climate conundrum nears a verdict
- Another Chelsea youngster on the move
- NBA Draft Lottery: Bulls still have minuscule chance at that Kings pick
- Phil Mickelson will not play at the US Open
- Carter Page: Reports of Russian Contacts 'False and Misleading'
- Scientists detect Einstein gravitational waves for a third time
- Erdogan Bodyguards Accused of Attacking DC Protesters Released
- Google marks start of ICC Champions Trophy with doodle you can't resist
- Phil Jones warns team-mates on Europa League final
- Djokovic in great Paris escape, Nadal cruises