Instead of walking the stage at Hunter College with his classmates, Jerich Alcantara was stuck on a stalled E-train deep under the Queens borough. The only difference? Alcantara was unable to make the actual ceremony due to massive train delays.
Alcantara, in his graduation robes, made an announcement to the vehicle, thanking his fellow passengers for joining him for his graduation ceremony.
"I announced to the whole train I said 'Hey guys, thanks for coming out today to see me walk and graduate, '" he recalled. From there, the ceremony commenced, complete with handshakes, hugs, applause, someone playing Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" on their phone, and even a "diploma", of which ABC 7 has a photo.
Miss Afzal, stranger turned inadvertent graduation videographer, said she had "witnessed a lot of things on the trains, but this was a very special moment".
Altogether the train delay lasted almost three hours, Alcantara, who earned a nursing diploma from Hunter College, sees the silver living.
Jerry Seinfeld brutally rejects Kesha's hug on camera
After she walked away and he was told that she is a pop star, Seinfeld tried to fix the damage. "Oh, thanks", he said in response. Kesha , 30, interrupted Seinfeld , 63, in the middle of an interview to express her love for him and ask him for a hug.
"The train's emergency brakes went off and they couldn't fix it for an hour and a half", Alcantara said. The delays stretched from 45 minutes to eventually three hours, causing Alcantara to miss his graduation from Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing altogether.
"Everyone was really upset", Alcantara said of the other riders on the train.
"I think it ended up so much better than if I was on time".
A student by the name of Jerich Marco Alcantara found that out the hard way this week.
But wearing his cap and gown, surrounded by some friends, family and kind strangers, he was thrown an impromptu ceremony on the subway.
- Russia Launched Cyberattack On Voting Vendor Ahead Of Election
- Yahoo shareholders approve sale to Verizon
- Acting ambassador of US Embassy in China quits over opposition to Trump
- Envoy Haley says US won't let the UN 'bully' Israel anymore
- Pentagon report cites China military buildup around world
- Cavaliers wearing black jerseys for Game 2: 2017 NBA Finals
- Grande returns to Manchester to honor victims with benefit
- Diplomats struggle to reach consensus on Venezuela crisis
- $3.8 billion Dakota Access oil pipeline begins service
- Warm Chicago reception for Sale