But it will be competing against a slew of other companies also looking to break in.
The Yahoo deal came after activist investors led by Starboard Value lost faith in Yahoo Chief Executive Marissa Mayer, who was hired in 2012, and forced the sale of the company's core assets.
Saina Nehwal loses in Thailand Open semis
Saina won her match against H Suzuki 21-15, 20-22, 21-11, while Praneeth beat K Wangcharoen in straight games of 21-16 21-17. Sai Praneeth led from the start and it was only a matter of minutes before he closed the game in his favour.
According to TechCrunch, Verizon will downsize staff at AOL and Yahoo by about 15 percent once the merger is finalized.
Together, AOL and Yahoo own a number of prominent brands, including The Huffington Post, TechCrunch, Engadget, Tumblr, Flickr and MovieFone.
Mr. Armstrong chose his leadership team several weeks ago, and that group has helped determine where the layoffs will occur, the person said.
Tech news website Recode reported this week that as many as 1,000 jobs could be shed as redundant positions get eliminated at combined AOL and Yahoo operations.
"Consistent with what we have said since the deal was announced, we will be aligning our global organization to the strategy", AOL wrote in a statement.
- OECD upgrades global economic outlook, export growth lifts Japan
- BIGBANG's TOP hospitalized for drug overdose
- RBA Leaves Rates Unchanged, Sounding Optimistic
- $3.8 billion Dakota Access oil pipeline begins service
- Spelling bee champ asked to spell 'covfefe,' gets it wrong
- Phil Mickelson will not play at the US Open
- Del Potro shows sporting spirit, closes in on Murray clash
- White House, allies scramble for ways to counter Comey
- Girl's soccer team disqualified after tournament organizers say she looks like boy
- Morata agrees to €60m move as Milan meet Madrid in Cardiff