While under oath, the former FBI director accused the White House of lying, the president of asking for his loyalty, pressuring him to drop an investigation and firing him because of the Russian Federation probe.
Trump was expected to face journalists later Friday in a joint news conference with Romanian President Klaus Iohannis, who is visiting the White House. Comey didn't directly accuse the president of committing a crime, but Comey said he had never experienced anything like it.
The President last formally took questions on May 18, when he held a bilateral news conference - similar to the one that will happen Friday - with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
The Senate committee sent a request for Comey's memos from the Federal Bureau of Investigation on and a separate request to the White House for any records kept by Trump, on May 17. Trump in a tweet said, Despite so many false statements and lies, total and complete vindication...and WOW, Comey is a leaker.
In answer to a reporter's question, the president denied he had asked for Comey's pledge of loyalty in a private meeting earlier this year.
Afghanistan To Host International Peace Conference
He said that up to 11,000 foreign militants had allegedly arrived in Afghanistan in the last two years to fight for Daesh. Afghan authorities have said Pakistan was involved in the attack, charges denied by Islamabad.
Trump tweeted in May that Comey "better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press". Dershowitz went on to say that even if we don't like the President having that authority, he has that power and you can't turn a Constitutional power into a criminal act.
"I was anxious because the media was camping at the end of my driveway at that point", says Comey.
Marc Kasowitz said on Thursday that the president never sought to impede the investigation into possible Russian interference in the United States election and that Mr Comey's leaks should be investigated.
But Donald Trump refused to say whether his private conversations with the fired FBI Director were taped - an issue at the centre of conflicting accounts of what passed between them.
Comey would not say whether he thought Trump tried to obstruct justice, leaving that determination to Mueller.
- Girl's soccer team disqualified after tournament organizers say she looks like boy
- Bahamas Alarm At Us Withdrawal From Paris Climate Change Deal
- Oliver Stone: Megyn Kelly didn't know her stuff with Putin
- Envoy Haley says US won't let the UN 'bully' Israel anymore
- BIGBANG's TOP hospitalized for drug overdose
- OECD upgrades global economic outlook, export growth lifts Japan
- Morales hits tiebreaking homer, Blue Jays beat Reds 6-4
- Apple Refreshes the Entire MacBook Line Up, and I'm Pissed
- Yahoo shareholders approve sale to Verizon
- Jerry Seinfeld brutally rejects Kesha's hug on camera