The PM is expected to address the public this morning after insisting Britain needs stability whatever the result and said the Conservatives are the party to bring the country together.
The result is an embarrassing turn for May who called the election three years earlier than required, to give her side a strong negotiating hand in Brexit negotiations.
One of the lead European Union negotiators, Guy Verhofstadt, criticized May on Twitter, writing: "Yet another own goal, after Cameron now May, will make already complex negotiations even more complicated".
May said Brexit talks would begin on June 19 as scheduled, the same day as the formal reopening of parliament. We know when they must end.
Her office said later that the key finance, foreign, Brexit, interior and defence ministers would remain unchanged.
"I think her position is, in the long term, untenable", Conservative lawmaker Anna Soubry told Sky News. "I'm not sure that we should read, from the results of this vote, that Britons' sovereign decision on Brexit has been cast into doubt in any way".
Auburn Finishes 5th at NCAA Track and Field Championships
After a slow third heat, London was officially through to his first outdoor 400-meter final with the seventh-best time overall. This was only the third time she did the steeplechase, and afterward reporters wanted to know how she got so good so fast.
The blame-game has started within the Conservative Party.
"It's an issue very close to my heart and one that I wanted categoric assurances from the prime minister on, and I received (them)", said Davidson, who is engaged to be married to her female partner.
Conservative: 42.4% Labour: 40.1% Liberal Democrat: 7.3% Scottish National Party: 3.1% UKIP: 1.9% Green Party: 1.6%. "She's a zombie prime minister". Tim Farron, the current leader, retained his seat with only a narrow majority. If that plan becomes a reality, the DUP would not hold any ministerial posts, but provide support for the Conservative government, which would depend on DUP votes in order to hold on to power.
Numerous party members are also uncomfortable with the kind of deal that will have to be struck with the DUP, a socially conservative party.
Although called as a Brexit election, the campaign was quickly overshadowed by security as two deadly terror attacks, in Manchester and London, struck.
May, who has largely been criticised for a weak campaign and accused of calling the snap election in a bid to gain more seats in the House of Commons, has announced that she will not resign.
- Niger recalls ambassador to Qatar in solidarity with Arab states
- Senators to ask about Trump pushback on Russia investigation
- Preet Bharara Says He Too Was Made 'Uncomfortable' by Trump's Contact Attempts
- UK polls: Theresa May's two closest advisers quit after election debacle
- Errol Spence Stops A Brave Kell Brook To Become IBF Welterweight Champion
- U.S. soldiers killed, 2 wounded in Taliban-claimed attack by Afghan soldier
- Theresa May to form minority government after poll setback
- LeBron James' Leg Kick Caught Andre Iguodala Between The Legs
- House, Senate investigators seek Trump tapes, Comey memos
- White House: Trump's tweets are 'official statements'