Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Washington at the invitation of US President Donald Trump for a meeting at the White House on June 25-26. Also, earlier this year, New Delhi had strongly rejected a proposal by the US Administration to mediate between India and Pakistan. If implemented, visas will become more expensive and limited in numbers.
Regional security situation including Pakistan-sponsored terrorism and other global issues are expected to figure prominently during the meeting of the two leaders. The last time was in June 2016, when he addressed Congress and described the U.S.as an "indispensable partner". Another issue that will be raised with Trump is the safety of immigrants.
Modi's visit will come while Trump is under political stress because of alleged Russian interference in United States elections previous year and contacts by member of his inner circle with Kremlin-connected figures. The theme of economic nationalism was a driving force for both their successes at the polls. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Trump backed off from calling the country a currency manipulator.
In spite of these differences, both the US and India enjoy a strong relationship.
Theresa May to form minority government after poll setback
Labour under him polled 40 per cent of the vote, the highest for the party since 1970, and only slightly behind Ms May's Tories . Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May addresses the country after Britain's election at Downing Street in London June 9, 2017.
Addressing the common interests of the two countries in an environment where Trump's promotion of a policy of "Buy American, hire American" is stoking apprehensions in India, Spicer on Monday said: "US energy and technologies, including natural gas, are helping to build Prime Minister Modi's vision for a new India and creating thousands of American jobs in the process".
The White House said that the US-India trade has grown six-fold since 2000, from United States dollars 19 billion to USD 115 billion in 2016, despite the recent hiccups over the H1-B visa issue. "Trump has five ongoing deals in India with a gross development value of about $1.5 billion" with "more projects likely to be launched in 2017".
Trump had invited Modi to Washington after the prime minister rang him in January to congratulate the new president on his inauguration.
The administration's announcement of the meeting was slightly marred by embarrassing imprecision.
- Apple Introduces The HomePod Speaker and Home Assistant
- Preet Bharara Says He Too Was Made 'Uncomfortable' by Trump's Contact Attempts
- Manchester City will not sign Alexis Sánchez... Or will they?
- President Trump say he's willing to testify in response to Comey testimony
- Steve Kerr Credits Mark Jackson For Transforming Warriors' Defense
- White House: Trump's tweets are 'official statements'
- U.S. soldiers killed, 2 wounded in Taliban-claimed attack by Afghan soldier
- Britain's snap election backfires on Prime Minister Theresa May
- Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers jolt Cincinnati Reds with six-run 8th
- Auburn Finishes 5th at NCAA Track and Field Championships