Meanwhile, two Capitol Police officers who were already at the scene exchanged gunfire to stop the shooter, who ended up hitting one of the officers, as well as Scalise and a lobbyist.
Congressman Roger Williams was on crutches after sustaining ankle and leg injuries when he dove into a dugout for cover.
Authorities said several people were injured when a gunman opened fire just after 7 a.m.at the baseball field where several Republican members of Congress were practicing for the upcoming game. According to reports, the Capitol police returned fire on the gunman.
The congressional staffer shot in the leg by an assault rifle-wielding gunman Wednesday at a baseball practice session for Republican lawmakers was in the outfield of the Alexandria, Virginia, baseball diamond when he heard a loud pop.
Rep. Steve Scalise and a number of aides and Capitol Police officers were shot.
Britain's snap election backfires on Prime Minister Theresa May
May said Brexit talks would begin on June 19 as scheduled, the same day as the formal reopening of parliament. Tim Farron, the current leader, retained his seat with only a narrow majority.
Rep. Barton, Rep. Williams and Rep. Mike Conaway were present when the shooting ensued. This is a game that has gone on for over 100 years and it is for charity.
U.S. representatives Ron DeSantis and Jeff Duncan had ducked out of baseball practice early on Wednesday when a middle-aged man in the parking lot asked them if the players in red shirts on the field were Republicans or Democrats.
The president tweeted Wednesday, "Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana, a true friend and patriot, was badly injured but will fully recover". If we don't play this baseball game and we give in, they win. "I$3 ran into the dugout literally running for my life".
"Everybody probably would have died, except for the fact that the Capitol Hill Police were there", Sen.
'There will be those who will talk about what's wrong with America but in this case, with officers Griner and Bailey, we saw what's right with America, ' he said.
Zachary Barth wrote on his personal account that he was at the hospital after being shot during practice for Thursday's congressional baseball game.
He said never thought he'd go to a baseball practice and "have to dodge bullets". "The Lord worked yesterday, he saved us".
- Preet Bharara Says He Too Was Made 'Uncomfortable' by Trump's Contact Attempts
- LeBron James' Leg Kick Caught Andre Iguodala Between The Legs
- Senators to ask about Trump pushback on Russia investigation
- Senate Vote Fails to Block Saudi Arms Deal
- Jeremy Corbyn: 'I can still be prime minister'
- Crude prices fall due to rise of United States crude stocks
- Cosby's accuser stands by her story under cross-examination
- Theresa May to form minority government after poll setback
- Attorney: Officer 'did what he had to do' in driver shooting
- Apple Now Allows Users to Tip with In-App Purchases