Federer opted to miss the clay-court season and lost his comeback match in Stuttgart to Tommy Haas, but ends his week in Halle having not dropped a set. Zverev has a shot at his fifth win over a top-10 player this season, as the 20-year-old continues his breakout season.
While Federer their initial meeting previous year in the Rome Masters, Zverev returned the faovur a month later with a three-set victory in the Halle semi-finals.
Nadal's 15th grand slam title overall established him as second on the men's all-time list behind Federer.
Federer's forehand victor at 4-4 secured the only break of the match and he served out to wrap up victory in one hour and 30 minutes.
Lopez, meanwhile, had to overcome a 45-minute delay during the second set, when he regained composure to see off Dimitrov, the player who had beaten him in the 2014 final at the west London venue.
The Swiss lured Khachanov to the net on several occasions, including at 4-4 in the second set and the Russian dumped a forehand volley into the net to give Federer two break points.
Rodman begins sightseeing on NKorea trip he hopes opens door
A North Korean foreign ministry official confirmed that Warmbier was released and left the country Tuesday morning. Secretary of State Tillerson said on June 13, 2017, that North Korea released the jailed USA university student.
Lopez swept through the first tie-break to level the match, before holding on in increasingly gusty conditions for the sixth ATP title of his career.
Federer won 6-3, 7-5 last spring at the Rome Masters before Zverev pulled off a 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-3 upset in the Halle semifinals. Zverev is 0-1 in final appearances on grass.
Federer has won all seven of his career matches against Mayer, including three straight-sets wins in Halle.
The German defeated France's Richard Gasquet in the second semi-final, 4-6 6-4 6-3.
"It has been a hard year with a lot of practice, training and rehab so I am very happy to be back on the court", he said. "I think Roger is playing really, really well".
- Fabinho tempted by Manchester United move
- Triple H Invites Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor to Appear on WWE Raw
- Nancy Pelosi Insists She Won't Step Down As Democratic House Minority Leader
- London fire manslaughter charges tipped
- National Football League suspends former Browns bust Justin Gilbert for a year
- South Sudan's displaced see little chance of peace
- FIFA Confederations Cup: Portugal and Mexico advance, hosts Russian Federation bow out
- Spanish state prosecutor accuses Jose Mourinho of tax fraud
- BJP wooing dalits via Kovind: Shiv Sena
- Ronaldo summoned to court, Mourinho accused of tax fraud