She said: "When I was serving for the match, 5-3, 40-15, I knew if I make a good serve or something, I can win it".
A rock-solid 6-3 6-2 victory over Croatian 19-year-old Ana Konjuh on Centre Court has teed up a quarter-final tussle with Latvia's 20-year-old French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko, who was a 6-3 7-6 (8/6) victor against Ukrainian fourth seed Elina Svitolina.
To put those stats into perspective, her opponent, the Ukrainian fourth seed, hit 14 of each.
"Serena is such a great player and played very aggressive". "Even the match points, the rallies were really long".
The Latvian roared into her first Grand Slam semifinal as a teenager back in June, and celebrated her 20th birthday weekend by beating Timea Bacsinszky and pre-tournament favorite Simona Halep, each in three sets, to capture her maiden Grand Slam trophy.
Leicester To Complete Signing Of Sevilla Midfielder Iborra
Eibar defender Florian Lejeune has completed his move to Newcastle by signing a five-year deal. LEICESTER City have agreed a deal to sign Sevilla midfielder Vicente Iborra for £12.3million.
As Wimbledon entered its second week, the men's and women's draw seemed to inhabit disparate worlds. In doing so, the five-time Wimbledon champion downed her opponent with a 6-3, 6-2 victory at the All England Club.
The 19-year-old Croatian Ana Konjuh, born three years after Williams signed up for the professional circuit, was far from overawed, having registered significant victories against those ranked above her earlier.
And the writing was on the wall for Konjuh following that second dropped service game. "It's also part of my game".
That was not the start of a comeback, however, and Ostapenko wrapped up the first set with another break before racing into a 5-2 lead in the second.
Muguruza dictated proceedings in the two hour, 18-minute encounter as she struck 55 winners to Kerber's 27 while also striking 50 unforced errors, 40 more than her opponent committed.
- China says India using Bhutan to cover up illegal entry
- No Modi-Xi meeting at G20 Summit, says India
- Big Payouts from Illinois Lottery in Jeopardy Without a Budget
- Kelechi Iheanacho: Leicester City reach agreement with Manchester City
- Futures point to mixed open on Wall Street; Fed minutes in focus
- Red Cross in need of donations during 'blood emergency'
- West Indies beat India by nine wickets in one-off T20
- How Spider-Man: Homecoming ties into the MCU
- Eight wounded in shooting near French mosque
- Once dominant, the U.S. finds itself isolated at the G20