However, as you likely concluded through rigorous calculations, one inmate is still on the run.
"Escapes happen", Underwood said.
Walker County Sheriff James Underwood said in a phone call that 11 of the 12 missing prisoners had been recaptured, some at a highway truck stop, but 24-year-old Brady Kilpatrick remained a fugitive.
News 5 is following this breaking news with our sister station in Birmingham.
USA sanctions top Venezuelan officials as general strike paralyzes country
A growing list of air carriers has suspended service to Venezuela as the country sinks further into economic and political ruin. He has warned the Organization of American States not to intervene in Venezuela , saying that would surely bring on civil war.
Underwood said there are "some deficiencies" at the jail, and it would take about $300,000 in funding to fix security issues.
He added: "So we got some evil people down here, and they scheme all the time to con us and our employees here at the jail". Underwood told a news conference. This one time we slipped up.
The Latest on the escape of 12 inmates from a county jail in Alabama.
Among the prisoners at large are attempted murderers Steven Blake Lamb, 28 of Quinton, and Christopher Micheal Smith, 19, of Jasper.
"I said it was human error and he made a mistake", Underwood said. The sheriff's department is offering a $500 reward for any information that helps lead the 24-year-old back to jail.
Shortly after their escape, police captured Michael McGuff, 30; Johnny Hunter, 26; Christopher Spain, 18; Kristopher Secrest, 20; Quadrekas Key, 21; Timothy Cooper, 28; and Steven Hartley, 27. A prison worker was charged with helping the men escape by smuggling power tools into the facility.
- Fact Check: Trump Misfires on Situation in Lebanon
- More Palestinians Die After Clashes With Israeli Forces
- European Union urges Israel, Jordan to cooperate on security in Jerusalem
- Cowboys release WR Lucky Whitehead after arrest
- US State Department: Iran's Satellite Launch Violates UN Resolution
- Shahid Khaqan Abbasi to be elected as interim PM of Pakistan
- Broncos linebacker Ray to miss six to eight weeks with wrist injury
- Spielberg reveals an overview of the virtual world of "Ready Player One"
- USA intelligence warns of new North Korea missile test
- Parents of Charlie Gard end legal battle with United Kingdom hospital