The death toll in Tuesday night's bombing at the Jawadia Mosque in Bekr Abad area in Herat city has risen to 29, officials confirmed.
Tolo-TV reported that the first attacker detonated his explosives outside of the mosque and a second attacker opened fire on worshippers who were inside the mosque at the time of the blast.
"More than 20 bodies, and more than 30 wounded have so far been brought to the hospital", hospital spokesman Rafeeq Shirzai told AFP, referring to the attack on the Jawadya mosque.
More details to follow.
He said the casualty figure might be higher because some wounded and dead bodies had been evacuated to private hospitals.
Shiite Muslims have remained a constant target of militant attacks across various parts of the country over the past few months.
European Union condemns US Congress new sanctions against Russian Federation
The note, dated July 19, said, "The measures risk breaking the transatlantic and G7 unity" on handling Russia's occupation of Crimea, Ukraine.
Some sources put the number of those killed and wounded at 60 and others even at 100.
In June, IS claimed responsibility for a suicide attack on a crowded Shiite mosque in Kabul which killed four people.
It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the attack. The incident happened in a Shite mosque.
Herat's governor Mohammad Asif Rahimi condemned the attack and said that the people of Herat would stand united against the enemy.
A security source, who declined to be named, said IS could prove to be more risky than the Taliban in Afghanistan.
- Broncos linebacker Ray to miss six to eight weeks with wrist injury
- Attractive weather heading into early next week
- Three Killed, Four Wounded In Shooting At Moscow Court
- US State Department: Iran's Satellite Launch Violates UN Resolution
- Fact Check: Trump Misfires on Situation in Lebanon
- Parents of Charlie Gard end legal battle with United Kingdom hospital
- Twin boys, 3, drown in Melville pool accident
- More Palestinians Die After Clashes With Israeli Forces
- Get free MAC lipstick for National Lipstick Day
- USA sanctions top Venezuelan officials as general strike paralyzes country