Five defendants in handcuffs were being escorted in a lift at the court when one of them pounced on and attempted to throttle a guard. The two others suspects and three security officers were injured.
Tatiana Petrova, a spokeswoman for the Russian Interior Ministry's Moscow department, told TASS news agency that among those wounded were a Russian National Guard officer and two policemen.
They were on trial for being part of a "Grand Theft Auto" gang where motorists where forced out of their cars and killed. Three policemen and two of the defendants were injured in an ensuing shootout. The body said one of the defendants tried to strangle one of the guards, and the defendants managed to escape and seized the guards' weapons.
Around 20 shots were fired in total, according to witnesses.
USA intelligence warns of new North Korea missile test
Gause says the North Korean government wants to develop its economy, but is unwilling to limit its weapons programs. Since the beginning of 2017, the North has conducted almost a dozen other missile tests that we know of.
After the shootout, everyone was evacuated from the court and all hearings were postponed, the lawyer said. "I saw a wounded woman bailiff, her face in blood", she said.
Prosecutors said gang members were placing spikes on roads, forcing motorists out of their vehicles and shooting them dead.
The G.T.A. gang - which largely consists of men from the former Soviet republics in Central Asia - was behind a series of murders in the Moscow area in 2014.
They had also attempted to take hostages.
- European Union urges Israel, Jordan to cooperate on security in Jerusalem
- Fact Check: Trump Misfires on Situation in Lebanon
- Twin boys, 3, drown in Melville pool accident
- More Palestinians Die After Clashes With Israeli Forces
- Shahid Khaqan Abbasi to be elected as interim PM of Pakistan
- Parents of Charlie Gard end legal battle with United Kingdom hospital
- Get free MAC lipstick for National Lipstick Day
- US State Department: Iran's Satellite Launch Violates UN Resolution
- European Union condemns US Congress new sanctions against Russian Federation
- Tobacco stocks hit by USA plan to cut nicotine levels in cigarettes