The Duke of Edinburgh braved pouring rain at Buckingham Palace to meet with Royal Marines, some of who participated in the Royal Marines Global 1664 Challenge - 100 challenges completed over the course of 100 days. All smiles, the royal tipped his hat while greeting those around him. The Royal Marines marched, gave a royal salute and the event closed off with three cheers for the Captain General - a symbolic finish, as Captain General was one of Prince Philip's oldest duties, handed to him in 1953.
Wednesday, Prince Philip, 96 met with the Royal Marine Commandos to celebrate his historic retirement after almost 70-years of service.
As a former Royal Navy officer Philip's last official event, after nearly 70 years championing his own causes and charities, fittingly featured men from the Royal Marines - an integral part of the Navy.
Prince Philip has carried out official royal duties alone or with the queen since she ascended to the throne following the death of her father, King George VI, in 1952.
Philip's final engagement - at a charity event with the Royal Marines - will honor his own military background as a naval officer during World War II.
India thrash S Lanka in first Test
Karunaratne and stumper Niroshan Dickwella steadied Sri Lanka and helped the hosts to cross the 190-run mark without any hiccups. But Karunaratne paid the price for a rare rash shot and was bowled by Ashwin, who is now on 275 Test wickets.
The butler said the Prince, health permitting, will also be at next year's Order of the Garter Service on June 18 and Royal Ascot on June 19-23.
The palace said Philip may still choose to attend events alongside the queen.
"However, Palace insiders have said the Duke specified he wanted a "low key" funeral at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, where he will also be interred".
Philip and Elizabeth had two children, Charles and Anne (pictured), prior to Elizabeth becoming queen, and two more after, Andrew and Edward. The BBC reported that the rank will pass to Philip's grandson Prince Harry following his retirement.
The royal couple are scheduled to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in November.
- Fact Check: Trump Misfires on Situation in Lebanon
- Tobacco stocks hit by USA plan to cut nicotine levels in cigarettes
- USA intelligence warns of new North Korea missile test
- Broncos linebacker Ray to miss six to eight weeks with wrist injury
- Herat mosque blast 'kills many' in Afghanistan
- White House Denies Involvement With Fox News Story at Center of Lawsuit
- Sheriff: Peanut butter used as part of escape scheme
- Trump to sign bill for new sanctions on Russian Federation
- Twin boys, 3, drown in Melville pool accident
- US State Department: Iran's Satellite Launch Violates UN Resolution