A woman and her two children have escaped from a home in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, where the children's father held them captive for more than two years, police said.
A anxious relative called Spotsylvania police officers after growing concerned because she had not seen either the woman or the children for such a long time, the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star reports.
When deputies got to the home, they met Moore who appeared to be reluctant to let them inside.
Spotsylvania deputies made a house call on Saturday afternoon, where they said they found Moore with the three others. As police spoke to him, a woman and her two children ran out a side door, according to WTVR.
The 32-year-old woman is now in a serious condition in hospital due to health problems which had been allowed to go untreated.
White House Denies Involvement With Fox News Story at Center of Lawsuit
Fox says it's "completely erroneous" to suggest it pushed the story to distract from the Russian Federation investigation. The AP reports that White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders addressed the issue today at a White House briefing.
Soon after speaking to Moore, the woman and children came running out the door to the deputies. According to a report by Fredericksburg.com, the unidentified woman had health issues and was taken to a hospital in a serious condition. Her children also received treatment. Law enforcement officers now believe the two children had never been permitted to attend school.
Kariem Ali Muhammad Moore, 43, was arrested and charged with three felony counts of abduction and felony assault and battery, the sheriff's office said. Virginia law enforcement officers have been able to verify the woman and Moore are not married.
The Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office got a call from someone concerned that they hadn't heard from members of a family in quite a while.
The neighbor added that Moore once told her his girlfriend was handicapped, and that she assumed Moore lived alone. He's being held at the Rappahannock Regional Jail without bond.
- Joe Arpaio Could Face Jail Time For Illegally Targeting Immigrants
- Attractive weather heading into early next week
- US State Department: Iran's Satellite Launch Violates UN Resolution
- Herat mosque blast 'kills many' in Afghanistan
- Three Killed, Four Wounded In Shooting At Moscow Court
- USA intelligence warns of new North Korea missile test
- Kam Chancellor signs new deal while Ryan Clady retires
- Oscar Pistorius 'rushed to hospital with suspected HEART ATTACK'
- Parents of Charlie Gard end legal battle with United Kingdom hospital
- Chelsea lose to Inter Milan in last preseason friendly