Emergency responders were called to the Center Court Condominiums near Scottsdale and Thomas roads around 7:30 a.m. after staff found a man at the bottom of the pool.
The 31-year-old grew up in L.A. - but competed internationally for Peru. "Detectives learned that there were no obvious signs of foul play", noted Sergeant Ben Hoster of the Scottsdale Police Department.
It will be up to the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office to determine exactly how Torrence died.
Torrence was from California, where he ran collegiately at UC Berkeley. He ran professionally for Hoka One One.
An Olympic track athlete has been found dead in a swimming pool in the U.S.
President Trump Pardons Sheriff Joe Arpaio
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People said the pardon was an "explicit embrace of racist policing practices". Doug Ducey and Arizona congressman Andy Biggs are supporting the presidential pardon of former metro Phoenix sheriff Joe Arpaio .
He was in Arizona on a training camp.
Gabriele Grunewald, the former national indoor champion in the 3,000-meter who represented the U.S.at the 2014 world indoor championships, tweeted, "I am absolutely broken hearing about David Torrence". According to Wikipedia, he held the American record in the 1,000-meter indoor race. Many took to Twitter to tell stories and share their grief of his passing.
Members of the track community have been sharing their memories of Torrence on social media over the past 24 hours.
Earlier this month, he was in the United Kingdom to compete in the IAAF World Championships in London and then the Diamond League event in Birmingham.
- Bournemouth 1-2 Manchester City
- Taylor Swift won't mention her bad blood with Katy Perry
- All Blacks hungry to respond to kick in the guts - Read
- Rohingya group voices concern over Rakhine attacks
- Houston Airports Closed following Tropical Storm Harvey
- ACLU files lawsuit against Donald Trump's trans military ban
- Cease-fire with ISIS confirmed along Syrian-Lebanese border
- Local hero Kirsty Gilmour edged out of World Championships
- Kushner's explanation why Israel needs to build settlements sucks so much ass
- Eight Indian Security Forces Killed in Kashmir