The former White House Press Secretary, who became famous enough to warrant Melissa McCarthy's Saturday Night Live impersonations during his six-month tenure, met the Pope this past week when he went to Italy for a meeting of the International Catholic Legislators Network, America Magazine reports.
This week Spicer was a member of a large delegation from the International Catholic Legislators Network, a six-year-old group created to discuss promoting Catholic principles in the political arena.
Spicer, who resigned as press sec at the end of July, was in Rome traveling with a group of politicians who were addressed by Pope Francis over the weekend.
Spicer could be seen snapping a cellphone photo of Pope Francis in an image posted to Vatican Radio's Facebook page.
Good news for Sean Spicer: he finally got to meet the pope!
Rodgers Supports Colin Kaepernick: "He Should Be On A Roster"
Colin Kaerpernick became a controversial figure after he started kneeling during the national anthem before NFL games. Kimes then asked Rodgers about that battle - the subject of the free-agent quarterback's choice to protest.
Other photos showed Spicer later having a few private moments with the smiling Pope.
A message left with Spicer was not immediately returned.
Pope Francis spoke to pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square for his weekly general audience. Although he accompanied President Trump on his first trip overseas in May, which included a meeting with the Pope.
Whether simply thoughtless or an intentional slight, Spicer's absence drew some sympathy from White House press corps members, who often had a contentious relationship with the former communications director and chief strategist of the Republican National Committee. It's unclear whether Spicer is a member.
Brazilian side Chapecoense met with Pope Francis at the Vatican on Wednesday. "It's very inspiration to see how people are fighting for family values", he said, "it's just more encouraging to see faithful Catholics from every country promoting the values of the Church".
- Eight Indian Security Forces Killed in Kashmir
- Chris Wood scores on Burnley debut to earn draw
- Joel Osteen opens church to storm victims after social media outrage
- Cease-fire with ISIS confirmed along Syrian-Lebanese border
- Resourceful Dog Walks Away With Bag Of Dog Food After Hurricane Harvey
- Trump Goes After Corker A Week After Senator Criticized White House
- North Korea fires possible ballistic missile
- Bangladesh claim first ever Test victory against Australia
- Apple (AAPL) Stock Soars To All-Time High Ahead Of September Launch Event
- Gloves come off in German election battle