Lakewood opened to the public Tuesday had has since taken in "hundreds" of Harvey evacuees and donations, the pastor said.
Through the church's Facebook account, a message was posted that said Lakewood Church was inaccessible because of the severe flooding in Houston. Some residents posted photos of certain areas around the Lakewood Church to disprove the megachurch's claim that it was impassable to those who might want to seek shelter from the storm.
So, what's with all the photos of the flooding that appears on the "lower level" of the church?
According to TMZ, Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas was fully accessible during Harvey - and Osteen opted to lock the doors to his megachurch at the same time a neighboring hotel not only stayed open, but filled to capacity. Osteen said the church's record stands for itself, stating, "We've been here year after year helping the community, helping the poor...rebuilding the roof of someone from Katrina just last week".
Eight Indian Security Forces Killed in Kashmir
The JeM is infamous for carrying suicide attacks in Kashmir valley, a lot of them have been reported from the LoC in Kashmir. A police official said that one of militants came out of a building and fired indiscriminately during the encounter.
"So there was a safety issue the first day or two", Osteen told Cuomo. "If we didn't have our flood gates out back here, it was within one foot. We will continue to be a distribution center for those in need", he said in a statement to ABC News. Osteen leads Lakewood Church in Houston, one of the largest congregations in the country - so big, its home used to be an National Basketball Association arena.
"Shame on you Joel, help out your fellow man, open the church to the needy", one critic tweeted.
However, people took to social media to criticise the church and shared pictures instead of the area surrounding the church with streets that were accessible.
But Lakewood Church spokesman Don Iloff told the Washington Post that the building was flooded and the water was close to spilling over the building's floodgate, so allowing people into the building would not have been safe. To add to that statement, Iloff also stated that Lakewood Church has already receded. The storm is responsible for at least 11 deaths, all in Texas, over the past four days.
- ACLU files lawsuit against Donald Trump's trans military ban
- Amazon Alexa and Microsoft Cortana team up to take on Google
- Dareus sent home by Bills for rule violation
- Local hero Kirsty Gilmour edged out of World Championships
- Taylor Swift won't mention her bad blood with Katy Perry
- Canadian runners share tributes to David Torrence after sudden death
- Your UK CEX Account May Have Been Breached - Here's the Important Info
- Chris Wood scores on Burnley debut to earn draw
- Houston Airports Closed following Tropical Storm Harvey
- India vs Sri Lanka 2017: 3rd ODI, 5 talking points