A number of politicians from across party lines, journalists and others have come out to sharply condemn the murder and have demanded that the investigation into her killing be fast-tracked.
India has seen a string of killings in recent years targeting independent journalists and critics of religious superstition, stoking worries about the rise of extremism and intolerance in the secular South Asian democracy.
Meanwhile, the BJP, which is also under fire after Gauri's murder refuted the allegations against it in connection with the Gauri Lankesh's murder.
Gauri Lankesh, 55, the editor and publisher of the Kannada language Gauri Lankesh Patrike, was shot dead on Tuesday by unidentified assailants near her home in the southern city of Bengaluru.
Protests and condolence meetings have been planned across Bengaluru to condemn Lankesh's murder. "Onus to maintain law and order is on state government, that is Congress", he added.
USC's Blind Long-Snapper, Jake Olson, Gets The Extra Point
And it's clear just how much the moment meant to the entire USC squad after Olson perfectly executed the snap for the extra point. In 2009, at age 12, he learned he needed surgery to remove his right eye, which would completely cost him his vision.
Reportedly, Lankesh's body has been shifted to Victoria hospital for post-mortem and the cremation will take place today. Lankesh died on the spot. "The impact of the shots, fired from a close range, was such that she fell back into her compound", he added. Two bullets hit her in the chest and one in the forehead.
■ The Karnataka government on Wednesday made a decision to form a Special Investigation Team to probe her killing.
The Karnataka government has been asked to provide details of the incident and the steps taken to nab those involved in the killing, the official said.
"Critical journalists and activists have increasingly faced threats and attacks across India in recent years".
Karnataka state's chief minister Siddaramaiah condemned the killing and promised a thorough investigation into the death of Lankesh, who he described on Twitter as a "progressive force". Time and again, she would protest what he felt were divisive moves of the right wing, she had, among her supporters, the venerated actor Girish Karnad.
- Petra Kvitova no longer surprising herself after US Open win
- Mattis says he and Trump are on same page regarding North Korea
- Rohingya die after boat carrying them capsizes in Bangladesh
- What do you know about the gifts for the Muslim feast 'Eid'?
- Trump expected to announce end to Obama-era DACA, official says
- Kerala BJP president Kummanam Rajasekharan rise vexes
- Georgia vs Republic of Ireland Match updates
- United States To Withdraw Free Trade Deal With South Korea
- Everything you might have missed from Nintendo's "Nindies" Switch Direct
- Clashes Between Residents, Police Erupt in S Korea Over THAAD Deployment