The storm passed through the southeast islands including Mayagua, Inagua, Crooked Island Acklins, Long Cay and Ragged Islands, on Thursday and Friday.
The phenomenon was first seen this weekend in the Bahamas, when a resident posted a video on Twitter that depicted a beach with no water. As the storm gobbles water towards its center, it gets pulled from its surroundings. Footage of a dry Bahamas shoreline hit the internet shortly after Irma swept through the Caribbean Islands.
"I am in disbelief right now..."
Hurricane Irma is creating such a stir that it is pulling water from the shorelines of some of the areas caught in the hurricane's crosshairs.
"As a meteorologist, there are things you learn in textbooks that you may never see in person", she wrote.
Before after images of beach cuts from Hurricane Irma on the northwest coast of Barbuda in September 2017. Faint gray arrows point to the beach cuts
Hurricane Irma is strong enough to completely change the shape of an ocean.
The phenomenon, though rare, is not a sign of a tsunami, according to the Post.
The storm sucked the ocean dry near Long Island, Bahamas, as it continues to strengthen and touch ground in Florida.
Fritz reassures readers that the water will return, and not in any risky fashion, stating that the storm is not a "tsunami" and by Sunday afternoon or so, the ocean should be back to normal. The Category 4 storm made landfall Sunday morning in Florida, where it is expected to move up the western coast of the state.
Someone finally found a use for an Apple Watch
There were three Kahnle changeups in particular that would raise suspicion that Red Sox hitters knew was type of pitch was coming. Asked if the Yankees are trying to steal signs within legal means, Girardi responded, " You can assume what you want".
- FSU's Deondre Francois suffers late leg injury vs Alabama; severity unknown
- Stacy Lewis Wins Portland Classic, Pledges Paycheck To Houston
- PM Modi leaves for Myanmar for first bilateral visit
- Fed Vice Chairman Fischer to resign for personal reasons
- Mattis says he and Trump are on same page regarding North Korea
- Tropical Storm Katia forms in Gulf of Mexico
- 'Modi a skilled Hindutva politician': Rahul targets PM over Gauri Lankesh killing
- Coroner reveals cause of death in Temple student's slaying
- 'Been a great ride' as Sharapova exits US Open
- Three Black Women Advance to US Open Semifinals