A federal judge in Louisiana ruled Thursday that Black Lives Matter is a social movement and can not be sued, deflating the legal case of an unnamed police officer injured in a demonstration in July 2016.
Black Lives Matter, Jackson wrote, wasn't an entity capable of being sued.
A Lousiana federal judge said that Black Lives Matter is not an entity that can be sued.
"The anonymous officer also tried adding "(hash) BlackLivesMatter" as a defendant in the suit, claiming it to be a "national unincorporated association" in California, but the judge ruled that a hashtag couldn't be sued either.
Jackson was unconvinced. "Plaintiff has pleaded facts that merely demonstrate that Mckesson exercised his constitutional right to association and that he exclusively engaged in protected speech at the demonstration that took place in Baton Rouge on July 9, 2016", the judge wrote, according to the Post.
Nigel Farage Tells LBC New Leader Henry Bolton Gives Ukip "Hope"
She resigned after just 18 days in the post, saying she could not work with the party hierarchy. BBC political correspondent Ben Wright said Mr Bolton would be seen as the continuity candidate.
The officer's attorney, Donna Grodner, said in an email that she was "not at liberty to discuss the case". This particular suit didn't come from Klayman, but he has filed other identical suits against BLM and they've all been dismissed for the same reason. He has long described Black Lives Matter as a call to end violence. The prominent activist was detained near Baton Rouge police headquarters on a charge of obstructing a highway. But until Black Lives Matter is held responsible for their rhetoric, just like anyone else, the violence will continue.
Mckesson and approximately 90 others who were arrested sued the city, claiming the police were "militarized and aggressive", and the group received total settlement of $100,000 in the lawsuit. "This shows a level of national organization".
A similar suit is pending before the same judge, filed by a Baton Rouge police officer who was wounded during an attack last July in which a gunman killed three of his colleagues.
"This is a movement, and there isn't a person who is responsible for it, or the leader or the founder of it", Gibbens told the judge at a hearing in June.
What do you think of Black Lives Matter?
- Demi Lovato's Reason for Getting Sober Will Break Your Heart
- Here's everything that the Switch version of Federation Internationale de Football Association 18 is missing
- Naked 'Mona Lisa' posed for Da Vinci? Early Hefner …
- Did Da Vinci Draw 'Nude Mona Lisa'? Experts Say He May Have
- Federation Internationale de Football Association 18 Available Worldwide Today
- The Analysts Set SEGRO plc (SGRO) PT at $480.50
- South Korea Wants Wartime Control of its Military
- Federal judge rules Black Lives Matter movement can't be sued
- Macklemore Cancels Aus Press Conference Ahead Of NRL Grand Final
- Mona Lisa NAKED: Leonardo da Vinci painted 'NUDE sketch' of famous painting