Earlier in the day, Trump tweeted that "food and water [were] on site".
Those on the ground say displaced people are gathering in droves around available cell towers, their phones held to the sky, hoping for a few bars of service.
Storms knocked out about 80 percent of Puerto Rico's power transmission lines, leaving most of the island dark.
But he points out that Elaine Duke is temporarily in the job, "and she's working very hard". "I know it is really a good news story in terms of our ability to reach people and the limited number of deaths that have taken place in such a devastating hurricane".
"You have all the armchair quarterbacks shouting out a lot of criticism", Fugate said. But as he considers such a decision - and charts a course to help make Puerto Rico Great Again - the president should keep its people first.
We continue to recover from the impact of Hurricane Maria, but it's been a slower process than we would like due to continued widespread power outages and communication issues across the Island. Puerto Rico's governor, Ricardo Rosselló, tweeted that he had petitioned the White House Wednesday night for a temporary waiver. And House Speaker Paul Ryan said the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) disaster relief account will get a $6.7-billion (U.S.) boost by the end of the week.Читайте также: Area football teams, players take a knee during national anthem in protest
North Carolina military also supported hurricane relief efforts in Texas and Florida.
Residents of the island say help is scarce and disorganized and one supermarket CBS News' David Begnaud visited had food for only two more weeks.
Trump also said that the leaders of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands have been "extremely good".
"They're going very slowly, the aid isn't getting to people fast enough".
To help support with medical needs, the Navy's hospital ship, the USNS Comfort, leaves from Virginia Friday afternoon on a five-day journey to Puerto Rico.
After all, Trump waited days to waive the Jones Act, and the waiver will only last ten days.
Mr Trump meanwhile quoted praise from Puerto Rico's governor, Ricardo Rossello, who said the president and the Trump administration have "delivered" for the United States territory.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- US Pulls Some Staff Out of Cuba After Bizarre Health Episodes
- Fish hitchhike 4000 miles from Japan to US
- Former President Obama, Bidens join Prince Harry at Invictus Games
- Demi Lovato credits family intervention for her sobriety
- Principal Threatens To Punish Students Who Take A Knee Amid NFL Protests
- Piers Morgan defends Ben Stokes, he 'was fighting for gay guys'
- BlackBerry turning things around thanks to record software sales
- Central Florida leaders working to create reception center for displaced Puerto Ricans
- Little Girl Steals Prince Harry's Popcorn At Invictus Games
- Interview: US measures against Cuba negative, arbitrary, says analyst