North Carolina Department of Public Safety tweeted Thursday afternoon that there was an "attempted escape at Pasquotank Cl in Elizabeth City".
The situation at the prison, which is located less than 50 miles south of Norfolk, Virginia, was under control, the state Department of Public Safety said on Twitter, less than two hours after sending out an alert on social media about the incident.
Inmates killed two people and injured 10 more as they set fires and attempted a prison break Thursday, officials said.
Three other employees remained hospitalized, and four inmates were treated for injuries, officials said. The plant, which employs about 30 inmates, produces embroidered logo items, safety vests and other items.
Pasquotank Correctional Institution houses 725 male inmates in close, medium and minimum security.
Floating Ocean Wind Turbines Could Power The Entire World, Researchers Say
Using modeling tools, the team compared the productivity of large Kansas wind farms to theoretical massive open-ocean wind farms. That means, on an annual mean basis, the wind power available in the North Atlantic could be sufficient to power the world.
The school system said on Facebook - at the time of the lockdowns - that students on buses who had not made it home were taken back to the schools because of the potential for inmates being in the area.
"All inmates are accounted for", she said, adding, "We've done multiple counts". The state's Prison Emergency Response Team, a tactical unit, rushed to the facility along with police.
The fires were set in the prison sewing plant at around 3:00 p.m. local time.
There several other incidents reported this year in the prison. While in another case, a security guard was charged was charged with smuggling drugs in prison illegally, he tried to smuggle illegal drugs, cigarettes and phones behind the wall of the prison.
Gov. Roy Cooper offered his condolences for the deaths in a statement late Thursday. In his statement, Cooper said, "Those who work in our prisons do a hard and demanding job that is critical to our safety".
- Tom Brady Misses Practice Due To Shoulder Injury
- Joel Embiid gets $148 million rookie max contract extension
- Confirmed: Ireland Placed In Second Tier For UEFA Nations League
- Vegas shooter booked rooms facing Lollapalooza in Chicago
- Harvey Weinstein masturbated in front of a former Fox News reporter?
- SNES Classic Mini hack hits Github, kills your social life
- Charlottesville's first Indigenous Peoples Day celebrated downtown
- Trump challenges Tillerson to battle of IQ tests over reported 'moron' jab
- Arsene Wenger: Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez may be sold in January
- New IEA report reveals solar PV capacity grew by 50% in 2016