Wasim Shah, a local commander of the Islamic Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group was one of the two rebels killed, police sources said.
The other terrorist has been identified as Nisar Ahmad Mir.
He said that Shah was a resident of Shopian district, while Mir belonged to Litter village of Pulwama, where the encounter with the security forces took place.
On receiving specific intelligence inputs about the presence of the terrorists in Litter village of Pulwama, the security forces comprising the Rashtriya Rifle, the CRPF and the SOG of the state police swung into action and surrounded the house in which the two terrorists were hiding. "Well done JKP boys and other SF (security forces)", he tweeted.
Reports said as news about the killings of local militants spread in the area, announcements were made through mosque public address systems asking people to come out and stage protests.
Arsene Wenger aims subtle swipe at Joachim Low after Shkodran Mustafi's injury
Sanchez has two goals and an assist in the last two, while Ozil has a marker and two helpers in those contests. Wenger could draft in Calum Chambers or Rob Holding, while veteran Per Mertesacker also lies in wait.
Pro-freedom and pro-Islam slogans were raised as the bodies of both the militants, killed in a gunfight in Litter village earlier today, were marched towards the graveyard. The cops fired tear smoke shells, pellets and live ammunition on the mob causing injuries to five protestors. One of the injured, identified as Gulzar Mir, who had sustained a gunshot died in a hospital, reports added. The injured person is undergoing treatment at SKIMS, Soura.
Meanwhile, the authorities have suspended mobile internet services in Pulwama district to prevent people from sharing information about the tense situation in the area.
So far no militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the attack.
After the militant attack, police and army men laid siege around the area to nab the attackers.
- Trump challenges Tillerson to battle of IQ tests over reported 'moron' jab
- NIA hit terrorists hard: Rajnath Singh
- SNES Classic Mini hack hits Github, kills your social life
- Gorkhaland Agitation: SI killed, three injured in police-GJM clash in Darjeeling
- Syria regime forces enter IS-held Mayadeen: monitor
- Microsoft finally admits Windows Phone is dead
- Catalan leaders under pressure over independence threat to break away from Spain
- Charlottesville's first Indigenous Peoples Day celebrated downtown
- Prison escape attempt, fire leads to lockdown, injuries in North Carolina facility
- Republican Collins will stay in US Senate, focused on healthcare